Results of "can" from Steve's Montana Mtn Summit

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Last weekend, Steve Kelly hosted the Montana Mtn. Summit. Had a great time, with about 25-30 folks attending. Steve did a folder, and I made steel.....here's the resulting billet from a "can" that I built/welded at the Summit.

Just started a blade for one of my "Gen2" folders from the steel, and still have enough left for a couple of hunters, or one nice Bowie. Speaking of Bowies......I'm hoping to have this one finished up for the Blade Show....

Ed how big was the can and what did you use in it as far as material.
Thanks for your time.
Percy

Percy: The can was a 3x3"X6" long. Capped off one end, added some W pattern made of 1080/15N20, some W1 rods, then filled the air space with 1095 powder that had 5% nickel powder mixed with it. Welded it, then drawn down to 1 1/4" square.... annealed, then face milled, and accordion folded open. After drawing the billet just a bit, and truing everything, I ended up with two pieces, 13"x1 1/4"x5/16". (I generally leave accordion folded material overly thick...that way I can "heal" any minor tears either by drawing them down a bit, or surface grinding.

Last weekend, Steve Kelly hosted the Montana Mtn. Summit. Had a great time, with about 25-30 folks attending. Steve did a folder, and I made steel.....here's the resulting billet from a "can" that I built/welded at the Summit.

Just started a blade for one of my "Gen2" folders from the steel, and still have enough left for a couple of hunters, or one nice Bowie. Speaking of Bowies......I'm hoping to have this one finished up for the Blade Show....

OMG now there is a term you won't catch me using often but damn that ground out blade has some of the most fantastic pattern I think I have ever seen before!:35:

That bottom pic is like where two worlds collide!

thanks for the info Ed. I just do stock removal but was wondering anyway. It is a great looking bar you came up with..
I have been wanting to have a billit made with this process and was just wondering how it was done.
Have a great show.
Percy

Back