Restoration of a 1968 Rockwell Delta Drill Press - WIP

Nice machines Mark!! I'm jealous! Good thing about that delta is it is a common machine, so replacement parts to fix the runout shouldn't cost too much! Good luck with em, if I were closer I'd offer to help!

Thanks teter09, you've been a huge help with this tutorial, I was ready to start selling these off thinking they were hopeless.
Now to just find the time.

Thank you for the excellent WIP. Are there any obvious symptoms, indications, considerations etc. that would cause you to pass on a particular older machine. In short, any advice for the prospective used drill press buyer?

Thanks again. Very helpful.
GWF

Thank you for the excellent WIP. Are there any obvious symptoms, indications, considerations etc. that would cause you to pass on a particular older machine. In short, any advice for the prospective used drill press buyer?
GWF

You really have to weigh the costs with what a brand new machine would cost you. I don't know of any quality bench top machines out there. I've read mixed reviews on the Jet ($350)and Shop Fox ($275)but they are designed for woodworking, I wanted something I could do a variety of tasks with it. That is why I did this one for myself.

First thing is the motor. Does it turn on, does it run smooth, does it smell odd when it is on. A motor that sounds like something is grinding or chattering can mean bad bearings. Bearings aren't that difficult to find since so many companies make them in so many sizes, but replacing both on a motor can be $30 bucks if you are lucky but more than likely will be $50 and up (for both). Plus tools needed, like a blind bearing puller. That adds to the cost. So it should reflect in what you are willing to take. If you already have a great motor you can slap on it in place of the bad one, then go for it, but I would mention that in the price negotiations.

Next, does the spindle move. Either with the motor under power or just by hand cranking it. If the motor works and you can measure run out using a dial indicator, do it. The more accurate the better, personally I don't take a machine if the runout on the spindle (not the chuck) when running at high speed is more than 0.02 This is my preference because at that point the odds are good the spindle is bent. IF you can't measure run out then listen to how it sounds. Good bearings shouldn't be heard. Really you should just hear the low hum of the motor, or a slight rub as you spin it by hand (if the motor is bad or not there) but you should barely hear the metal turning, almost like a dust broom sweeping across the floor. Don't expect the hand turning to be easy, lots of metal inside there that is twisting (and heavy metal at that!) so it will be heavy but, you should be able to turn it by hand!

Check the movement of the spindle up and down using the handle. If you feel binding as you lower or raise the handle it can indicate some problems that have to be remedied. Also check the stop depth gauge, you'll probably want this and if it is missing or is seized, keep that in mind.

Check that the table can move up or down. Older presses without the raising assembly means just elbow grease to raise it, but it should raise. If it sticks then keep that in mind. Another useful tip, look at top of the table. This is all about assumptions. If the table has a lot of 'idiot' holes (spots where the table has been damaged by someone drilling through something and in to the table but not through), it can give you a better idea of how well it was taken care of. Everyone is human so 1 or 2 slight hits can just be mistakes, where as gouges everywhere can mean someone doesn't take the time to care for their tools! Sometimes people will drill their own holes THROUGH the table in odd spots, those are less of a concern because going through a table is always intentional for a specific purpose.

All of those things should be looked at before discussing price. Old iron has the reputation of older so better, which I can't argue, Except when its been neglected. Most people think older means indestructible which obviously isn't the case. Knowing your abilities and what time you want to invest will help you get the most bang for your buck. Some drill presses are common enough that you can even get replacement parts off ebay or some other machinery websites for cheap so it can be worth your while. I once had to do this with a bent spindle on a Delta Drill press I restored, thankfully the spindle shipped was only $15! If you know the model number, research it before you look at it, that way you can gauge how much a missing handle affects your offer (for example).

Hopefully this will help you out! And make sure to mention the things you feel are off to whomever is selling it. That can help persuade them to lower their price rather than just an offer that they think is a jerk low balling them. I've looked at a few presses with issues that I got for more less than 1/3 of their asking price because I could point out problems.

Good luck!

Thank you teter09, those pointers were great and just the type of info needed. Appreciate it.
gwf

Back