Quick way to add "1 of 1" to a knife?

jkf96a

I've got a customer who's dead set on adding "1 of 1" to the knife I made for him. Any ideas how best to accomplish such a thing? Steel is 1080 at 61 RC, and handle is elk antler, if it makes a difference. Preference is toward quick and easy.

If it is differentially heat treated, I would say to take it to your local engraving shop and have it engraved on the spine.

Get a single stencil from Ernie Grospitch and Electro-Etch it somewhere on the blade. That's probably be the easiest. If you don't have an electric etcher (and you can't find someone with one locally) you might try an "Acid Etching Pen" that's used for marking metal parts and such.

Just write "1 of 1" somewhere, neutralize it, and bada bing.

Then go build yourself an electric etcher... ;)

build the $5 DC etcher like I did and hand engrave thru a coat of nail polish. I like to play around with pictures and stuff like that on little junk steel. I have stencils for ones I actually sell, just cut out of vinyl. I engrave mine in about 1 min per knife, and the etcher itself took about 4 mins to build

I've got an etcher that I do my mark with. Would have to come up with a stencil. My handwriting is too crappy for the nail polish trick. I got my mark stencils from Ernie, may have to check into him again.

For such occasions I keep a pad of cheapo Lectro-Etch stencils around and just press the appropriate letters or numbers into it from my stamping set. Everybody has a letter/ number.... stamping set laying around...don't they ?

Rudy

I do like Rudy, only I have an old DOT MATRIX printer and print the stencil, works great for my serial numbers.

Back