Question About Loveless Bolts

Steven Long

This might be a dumb question but, has anyone tapped the holes in a tang and threaded a loveless (or any other fastener) bolt through it? I have never seen anyone do it or mention it so I am guessing there is a reason; stress areas during heat treat, thin stock, etc. I figure it would work with 3/16"+ stock and I would think it would add a little extra strength.

Also, what is the preferred thickness you leave under the countersink hole, the area between the bolt and the tang?

I think it just isn't necessary. You'll epoxy the scales to the handle anyway if for no other reason than to keep water out and the screws threads through the holes give the epoxy a little extra bite. I think once you've got the loveless bolts and epoxy it would take tremendous force to pull the scales off the handle. I try to drill the holes in the scales and tang with tight clearances others think it's better to let the epoxy fill any voids. My 2 cents.

Steve,
As to your last question on preferred thickness under the counter sink hole, see my post in this forum on "Help my loveless nut fell off". Or set them pretty deep. I modified a counter sink bit to let me set them deeper. It's pictured on that post.

Jay

No worries Jay, I'm feeling lightning fast this morning. No work, the sun is out and the weather is perfect. Great day to work in the shop!

Also, what is the preferred thickness you leave under the countersink hole, the area between the bolt and the tang?

Steve, It it is Micarta or another synthetic as little as a 1/16" will do to leave under.

If its a wood, Stabilized or not I leave a tad under a 1/8" Also I put the epoxy in the loveless bolt holes too.

No need to thread the bolts through the tang, i believe they are a 8/32 threading on the bolt.

I use loveless bolts on about 90% plus of my knives. They are the strongest!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks Laurence.

I have read where a few people said they had corby bolts snap on them on multiple occasions and started using loveless bolts on most of their work.

Both Corby's and loveless can be made well or not so well!
I buy from 4-5 different houses depending on what I am ordering? Quality first, then price.
Find a supplier you trust and get a few, If their well made? Order from them only.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives

I have another question about using Loveless Bolts...

When sanding down the handle, I can never get the threads to come close to disappearing. I noticed that you experienced guys can almost make the threads not noticeable. Just looks like a smaller circle inside of a big one. Mine look like an obviously threaded nut and bolt with the threads popping out and hitting you in the face. What is your secret?

Some guys at work that I have shown my knives to ask about this. It seems to be a huge eye sore to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't want to see you crack a handle, but I believe it's a torque issue. I think you have to get the threads biting together tightly. I have seen the Loveless video where he's using a calibrated air screwdriver to torque them and I don't know what he had it set at, but with him designing the fastener to use with Micarta which is tough as hell I bet it was a decent amount. When I've used them in Micarta myself I really give it the onion as I doubt you'll be able to ever split that material...woods on the other hand, I dont know.

Great, Thanks Frank. That makes very good sense because I have been worried to really tighten them. I basically tighten them until they are really hard to turn, never to when they stop turning. I have been nervous about snapping them. I forgot that was how Bob did it in his video.

I use threaded holes in the tang mainly to secure the blade to a fixture. to attach handle, used stainless machine screws instead of dowel pins; worked fine

I have another question about using Loveless Bolts...

When sanding down the handle, I can never get the threads to come close to disappearing. I noticed that you experienced guys can almost make the threads not noticeable. Just looks like a smaller circle inside of a big one. Mine look like an obviously threaded nut and bolt with the threads popping out and hitting you in the face. What is your secret?

Some guys at work that I have shown my knives to ask about this. It seems to be a huge eye sore to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Steve,

I think the threads showing are part of using loveless bolts. See picture of Loveless Chute Knife:
Loveless Chute Knife.jpg

I think what Loveless did was use the head of the bolt on the part of the handle that faced away from the palm and then leave part of the head as the "bulls eye" which blended into the nut, but on the other side the thread was pretty visable. I don't think yours look any "worse". In fact, I think yours look pretty good.

Jay

Steve,

I think the threads showing are part of using loveless bolts. See picture of Loveless Chute Knife:
View attachment 38210

I think what Loveless did was use the head of the bolt on the part of the handle that faced away from the palm and then leave part of the head as the "bulls eye" which blended into the nut, but on the other side the thread was pretty visable. I don't think yours look any "worse". In fact, I think yours look pretty good.

Jay

They never look perfect, but that's a small price to pay for the durability of the loveless bolts.
He designed these for working knives with Micarta even though they were also used of the Ironwood & and other pretty handle woods and more artsy knives he made.

Do the guys at work want a working knife or a Art knife?
By the way, people that can't make or can't afford custom knives seem to be real picky sometimes!:biggrin:

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Thanks Jay! I never noticed that before.

Laurence, They prefer an Academy knife. So their opinion really doesn't matter anyway, but it got me thinking. When I first saw Loveless bolts, I wasn't too fond of them either, but they grew on me. I have just seen some that look really good and thought there was a secret to finishing them out. Thanks for the info.

Back