question about file work

prisonbreak

been looking and reading about file work along the spine............vine filing, rope work, arrowhead etc....................just wondering what do you guys use to fill in the void after knife is finished to make it all smooth, do you use super glue or what? or dont you bother?

I just fill the voids with epoxy as I glue up the handles. You can add color to the epoxy for an added effect, but use the color sparingly to avoid compromising the strength of the epoxy. I'm sure there are other methods that will work just as well. I've used testor's paint with good results. Here's an example...

Attachments

• 303K0511.jpg
    303K0511.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 58
Over the years I have gone to carving and texturing most of of my knives, mostly because everybody does filework, and I wanted to be different. :)

When I did do a lot of filework, I never wanted the filework "filled in"....to that end, I would fit up handle scales, then fill the filework with vaseline....then gently take the slabs back off, and glue the scales on. Once the glue cured, I would clean off/out all the vaseline, and if any glue found it's way into the filework, I would remove it with a sharpened/pointed brass rod.

Last edited:
I've pretty much stopped doing filework especially on the spine. It looks nice on folder and fixed blade liners in miniture patterns but between wooded handle scales I dont think so. I have a problem with exposed epoxy on any hanldle and left unfilled it will gather blood, dirt and desease so less is more.

Last edited:
Back