quenching...

secor c1

Hey guys, so i just ordered a new even heat KO oven i have 2 small 1 inch thick plates but i also want to try and quench some stainless in parks 50 oil, so far i have only HTed 1084 in a propane forge, so once i get the new oven this will all be new. so i was thinking about something today and ok you wrap the profiled knife in the foil and put it in the oven for a plate quench you put the whole thing between the plates right? but what if i am going to quench in parks 50 oil how do you get the knife out of the foil quick enough to get it in the oil? how have you guys done this i am sure there is some method or trick i am over looking so i hope you guys can help me out.....thanks

You didn't say what what material your quench plates are..... I would highly recommend aluminum....if you try to use steel, the heat will sometimes not get dissipated quickly enough, and end up with hard/soft spots throughout. When it first happens to you, it's difficult to figure out what went wrong.

Check the recommendations on the stainless you intend to oil quench....for those SS that are listed as "air quench", doing them in oil doesn't always work out well. I've seen everything from cracking to warpage that goes beyond the ability to repair when folks oil quench a steel that's recommended for air quench.

the plates are aluminum 1 inch thick i think 4x12 in. as i said i havent even got the oven yet so i just got some 440c i was going to get the 154cm but i figured the 440c is a lil bit cheaper and since it will be the first time using the oven i would learn with the 440c, i do have access to liquid nitrogen and have profiled a few blades so when i get the oven ill be ready to go. however some one that has been helping me (not in person just another person i talk to online) hes been doing this for a long time and always has good advice has told me that parks 50 oil is great for quenching 440c. however he has a argon hook up to his oven so he doesnt need the foil so getting the foil off quick enough isnt a issue for him...

440C/argon environment would a good situation for oil quenching. The argon eliminates the foil getting off in time..... I really don't have a good suggestion if use the foil and oil quench. It's always a race and a gamble. :) It sounds like you're just getting going.....so my suggestion is to pick 2-3 primary steels and learn them well. Sometimes in knifemaking you see makers who offer ever type of steel under the sun..... while I'm not meaning to bash any of those folks, time and experience has taught me that as a general rule, the folks who work with too many different steels suffer the same as that age old saying..... "Too many cooks spoil the broth"....only in reverse. :)

That's not to say never try/use other steels, just give yourself the time and experience needed with a given few steels, and that will make the learning curve much shorter and easier when/if you do decide to use a "new" steel.

Ok thanks yeh i was planning on the 440c since it seems cheapest but not bad quality either. so that way i can learn the ropes with the oven and the liquid nitrogen and all that (i have made 20-25 blades but all 1084 HTed in a forge with canola oil) once i get the oven and cryo thing down i was planning on trying one or 2 of the cpm steels......what if i was to put a 440c blade in the oven with no foil so i could get it to the oil quick would i just have some scale or would it actually effect the blade quality? and how much scale would it come right off with a 80 grit belt easy or would it be hard to get it all off. i have always HTed right after profiling then putting bevels on after the HT so i have to grind it any way i would mind taking a lil scale off unless i am going to waste belts trying to get it off OR it effects the quality of the blade

Yes, you will get some scale heating the blade in the oven without foil. You can easily take care of it by soaking in white vinegar overnight which will save you some wear and tear on your belts.

Doug

Back