Paracord wrapped handles.

jmforge

Just a general question. Have paracord wrapped handles fallen out of favor in the custom knife world? I know you still have people who still do stuff that’s closer traditional Japanese style, but have the striders of the world gone away?

FWIW, there are only two knives with paracord-wrapped handles in the 2024 edition of Knives. There are a couple wrapped Japanese-style handles, but only two small fighters having paracord with the internals stripped as wrap. Seems of waning popularity right now. Things come and go and come back, though, so...

I have a friend Aaroneous Blades that's all he does. He caters to the self defense crowd!

Paracord has many uses. I wrap my flashlights and some tool handles in it. I use a technique called Coxcombing, or spiral hitching where knots spiral around the handle. I use small diameter cord so as not to be rough on the hands or add to the diameter too much. The navy used to wrap handrails with cord this way on stair railings and paint over it, cord and all. It works well on hatchet handles and such where you want a secure non-slip grip. Easy to do too.

Paracord has many uses. I wrap my flashlights and some tool handles in it. I use a technique called Coxcombing, or spiral hitching where knots spiral around the handle. I use small diameter cord so as not to be rough on the hands or add to the diameter too much. The navy used to wrap handrails with cord this way on stair railings and paint over it, cord and all. It works well on hatchet handles and such where you want a secure non-slip grip. Easy to do too.

Reminds me, my old boss did something similar to his hammer. He spun hockey tape around to make it thicker and wound that around the handle first, laying it down diagonally with wide spaces, like on the handrails (?). Then covered all of it the with the tape flat. I don't know who showed him, but this must be the concept.

I wonder if it'd work on these short wraps I've been doing:
20230904_210751.jpg

I like wrapped handles, they're pretty comfortable. just not sure how they'll clean up after the knife has been used.

That hockey tape technique was shown to me by a friend when I usted to work in Alberta. The local hockey players and Farmers, Ranchers, fishermen etc. used it. I don't know if hockey players etc. in other locales do it but with hockey tape done that way you have a SECURE grip.
Yes that coxcombing is a St. Mary's style, nice. I just do a simple version using just a single cord and contrary to what the guy on the link said it greatly improves my grip on tool handles etc.. Maybe not good for handrails?
It would probably work well on knife wraps like yours. There is also a type of coxcombing called Mora? (Something like that, kind of south sea sounding anyway) where two spirals go opposite ways and criss cross creating a very nice pattern. It would probably give an even better grip I'd think.
Nice looking handle by the way.....................

It would probably work well on knife wraps like yours. There is also a type of coxcombing called Mora? (Something like that, kind of south sea sounding anyway) where two spirals go opposite ways and criss cross creating a very nice pattern. It would probably give an even better grip I'd think.
Nice looking handle by the way.....................
Thank you!

I found it: "Moku".

Half moku and full. It makes a nice diamond and looks like a better/stronger method than what I did there.

That hockey tape technique was shown to me by a friend when I usted to work in Alberta. The local hockey players and Farmers, Ranchers, fishermen etc. used it. I don't know if hockey players etc. in other locales do it but with hockey tape done that way you have a SECURE grip.
Yes that coxcombing is a St. Mary's style, nice. I just do a simple version using just a single cord and contrary to what the guy on the link said it greatly improves my grip on tool handles etc..
Probably a concept as old as Adam.

Hey guys, if you have a moment, could you refer us to a video how how to do the Coxcombing and Moku wraps.
I know absolutely nothing about how to do this, and would greatly appreciate a lesson or two.
Thanks

Hey guys, if you have a moment, could you refer us to a video how how to do the Coxcombing and Moku wraps.
I know absolutely nothing about how to do this, and would greatly appreciate a lesson or two.
Thanks
I tried to post the link but my antivirus software had a fit so I just copied from the page header. Anyway this will get you there if you type it in search. Paracord Guild has links to YouTube Tutorials on different knots etc. also.......https://www.paracordguild.com/spiral-hitching-paracord/
Paracord planet has lots of tutorials I like as well. One called West Country Whipping is another I forgot I've used. The tutorial even shows knife handles done in it.
I should just bookmark these sites as if I don't do them for awhile I need a refresher..... Getting old.

Last edited:
Actually I think whipping for rope ends could be modified to work with knife handles allowing a nice transition of colors if one so desired.
I've done some fancy whipping for friends with boats (Kind of saying thanks for inviting me) when I noticed their ropes were messy on the ends using the colors of the boat and furnishings etc.. Some require sailmakers needles but the ones that don't would work, I think.
When I get time maybe I'll experiment.

Thanks
Hi Bob, here are a couple I looked at.
Mikko Snellman on you tube
and

Thanks for the references. Much appreciated. Now I've got some homework and then try out the new handle technique.

Back