Only 1 liner on a liner lock? Thoughts on that?

BRad704

This is how far I have gotten with my Chow Chow liner lock, and I have a question.

What are your thoughts on a liner lock, that only uses a liner on the locking side?

Personally, I like it because it makes the overall knife a bit thinner in the pocket. Although the thumbstud now protrudes further on one side than the other. I may use the 1-72 screw that came with the studs and only put it on the RH opening side.

This kit has been great to work on so far! I am now to the point of setting the detent ball and grinding the lock face and I'm procrastinating on that. :| First-time jitters...

20120613_123744.jpg20120613_123756.jpg20120613_123805.jpg20120613_123811.jpg20120613_123830.jpg20120613_123844.jpg

There used to be a knife on the market that had only one liner.

Seems to me there was also a custom maker or two that made them.

Well... I think i just ruined this blade... while setting the detent. Apparaently I drilled it too close to the end of the path of the detent mark, and now the blade can fall out about 1/4" from the handle. Is there any recovering this?

I thought about moving the detent, but don't know if that will make a weird second bump as it goes past the other hole. UGH! I'm depressed and ticked off at the same time right now!

20120614_130427[1].jpg20120614_130413[1].jpg

Brad ,
I have drilled a larger hole through the blade , inserted a steel pin , & peened it in place . You can then redrill your detent hole at the new desired location . I have heard the suggestion of usin JB Weld to fill in the old hole but I haven't had any success with that method . Hope this helps.

Joe

Do what Joe said,that's the voice of experience speaking. I've never had to do it but I know it's a fix if I ever get in this predicament.

This is how far I have gotten with my Chow Chow liner lock, and I have a question.

What are your thoughts on a liner lock, that only uses a liner on the locking side?

Personally, I like it because it makes the overall knife a bit thinner in the pocket. Although the thumbstud now protrudes further on one side than the other. I may use the 1-72 screw that came with the studs and only put it on the RH opening side.

This kit has been great to work on so far! I am now to the point of setting the detent ball and grinding the lock face and I'm procrastinating on that. :| First-time jitters...

View attachment 32955View attachment 32956View attachment 32957View attachment 32958View attachment 32959View attachment 32960

I like it! I've even built them with no liner but then they weren't liner locks,I inlay the lock in the side plate and secure it with screws.
Go for it!

one sided liners are pretty common, or at least they used to be with g10 on the linerless side. another fix is to go to a larger diameter detent ball and grind off the back side if it's only a few thousands "over". Peening in the steel insert seems to be a better option here.

The only real worry I have heard about was on knives especially flippers the stop pin was taking a beating and deforming the hole in the g10 and eventually the lock would no longer engage since the stop had been moved further back. I have never experienced this myself I am just repeating what I have heard elsewhere.

Alistair

I can see that being an issue with actual flippers, but this one is just a good old thumbstudded folder.. :)

I ended up pressing that ball out, and drilling a whole new detent hole just a bit over from teh previous one.

John Barker sent me some info about removing the stop pin, and over-closing the blade a little bit, then drilling through lockface and blade at the same time. You can then reinsert your stop pin, and check for the fit. If you need to (and I did), you can go up 1 bit size at a time, until the detent engages at just hte right moment on the blade.

Thanks for the steel pin idea too!!! I think that is a great way to go, should this ever happen again.

Back