One of the most handy things in my shop

Edwardshandmadeknives

6CA1EE9A-7CC6-4432-A34A-85098D852781.jpeg
This stuff right here. “Amazing Mold Putty” by Alumalite. It’s a Play-Doh like silicone putty. You mix it in equal parts in your hands and it sets up into a hard kinda rubbery solid. I use this stuff all the time. I put the picture of the stag crown to kind of show one of the uses. Say you are working with a weird shaped piece and you want to hold it in a “straight” position for drilling holes. You make a center mark on each end of your stag piece, mix up a big glob of this stuff and you can mush it into it, using a height gage to center each end, and now you have a repeatable fit piece that will hold it “level” so you can drill holes or do whatever to it. Being silicone, it won’t damage your material, and it is impervious to pretty much everything. It also works great for making weird little curved sanding blocks, and I also use it to hold mammoth ivory bark when I’m drilling it. For that I just make a small frame out of wood, lay the scale flat side down in it, and mash putty into it till it’s flush with the top, then I have something that will hold it all square with the world without damaging it. It’s really really handy stuff to have around. Thought I’d share it with you all. I’m not affiliated with them, it’s just some good stuff.

View attachment 83024
This stuff right here. “Amazing Mold Putty” by Alumalite. It’s a Play-Doh like silicone putty. You mix it in equal parts in your hands and it sets up into a hard kinda rubbery solid. I use this stuff all the time. I put the picture of the stag crown to kind of show one of the uses. Say you are working with a weird shaped piece and you want to hold it in a “straight” position for drilling holes. You make a center mark on each end of your stag piece, mix up a big glob of this stuff and you can mush it into it, using a height gage to center each end, and now you have a repeatable fit piece that will hold it “level” so you can drill holes or do whatever to it. Being silicone, it won’t damage your material, and it is impervious to pretty much everything. It also works great for making weird little curved sanding blocks, and I also use it to hold mammoth ivory bark when I’m drilling it. For that I just make a small frame out of wood, lay the scale flat side down in it, and mash putty into it till it’s flush with the top, then I have something that will hold it all square with the world without damaging it. It’s really really handy stuff to have around. Thought I’d share it with you all. I’m not affiliated with them, it’s just some good stuff.

That is a great idea! I need some of that!

FD0A874C-8F7F-4A6F-97D2-616486D1C927.jpeg
Here is an example of it being used. I have to do some drilling and machining to this stag crown, and to hold it all straight and vertical and everything I mixed up a big wad of this stuff and mashed it into a snus can. Now I can take it out and put it back into this mold as often as I need and I will have a nice repeatable way to hold it for drilling and stuff where it won’t damage the piece. Thought I’d share it since it’s a perfect example of how I like to use this putty.

Back