on swedges

SHOKR

i am working on this, and that got the gears doing what they do best in my head!
20130215_173835.jpg

from a 6mm leaf spring, 36.5cm OAL, largest knife i worked on so far

are there any 'rules' for swedges?
does the false edge thickness has to be same as the main edge before sharpening?

when and how do you guys do the swedge? (detailed steps please)

secondary question, what category would that blade fall under?
note: swedge is not sharpened.

thanks

Last edited:
Nice blade!

I grind swedges after heat treating the blade. Reason is, it keeps the tip thicker during quench if the swedge is left unground. Less chance of warping. If its done this way the edge can be taken to finish grind all at one time. No tedious clean up after quench as well.
This blade would fall under the large category.

Its very popular to grind swedges with a Bubble Jig; makes it easy.

Fred

Last edited:
to awnser your question my pal,
There are no rules as to how or when to grind swedges. I do that after ht because it give a nice clean bevel,I do also all of my bevel grinding after Ht because it always allows a crisp grind and eliminates the chances of warping by grinding before HT.

I really like this fighter short sword I guess at 36.5inches I think it,s past the knife spec,s LOL
I like the Blade cater Choil you have added too.

Some use jigs to grin their swedges but I recommend you do a few more to learn free hand like the nice one you have done on this sword. If you have a work rest on your grinder you can put a angle guide on it to start your bevels if you like?

Laurence

Www.rhinoknives.com

I think that he might have might have meant centimeters or he got his units of conversion mixed up, but you're right, that's a fine knife that he built.

Doug

Thanks a lot guys!

Its in centimeters, i forgot to write it, fixed it now, by category i meant like bowie, fighter, so on

So far i do swedge after HT, that was very sound advice i got before, except for the two blades i have already made at that time...

Josh Dabney told me to grind at 80g and hand sand, this one was relatively easy because its just straight so i went 80 then 220 then hand sand (i stopped at that too on main bevel)

If there is anything else you think i need or would want to know please share

Thanks

Shokr,
Fighter category is where I would put it!

A Bowie is a taller blade that came from a large Butcher knife, We think? No one knows what Jim Bowie's Knife made by his brother Reza, Really looked like? If it looks good to you? "The Swedge"
Then it's great!
Really, There are no rules and it looks like one heck of a Fighter to me!

Josh has done as many or most likely more swedges that me. You have a great coach.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Really nice looking blade. Overall, I agree there is no hard or fast rule about the swedge. If I intend to leave it as a faults edge, I tend to go to about double the thickness of what I grind the main bevels to pre heat treat. So I leave a little more meat on the swedge. edge. :D

If I think the knife style itself would benefit from a double edge, I will take that swedge down to the same thickness as the main edge Pre Heat treat. Which allows for the end user to add a edge if they desire.

Did I mention how impressed I am with this knife? Great looking design, and blade grinds! Keep up the great work.

God Bless YA
Randy

Back