O1 steel heat treat and tempering question again!!

AJH_Knives

sorry guys posted in the wrong forum.. I started a new post in the heat treat area....

Last edited:
Just a few small points that may help (or not) :)

• 1200F is stress relief - normalizing is a higher temp process
  • O1 benefits from a longer soak to help some of that alloy content along. Maybe about 25 minutes for that blade.
  • I'm not sure O1 will benefit much from cryo
  • Your 400F temper, if all went well, will give about RHC 62-63. Maybe consider bumping it to 450F

...... and most importantly, anyone who uses a 3/32 custom blade to pry an elk's knee joint deserves to have his tiny little p***er cut off! :mad:

my 2 cents.

Just a few small points that may help (or not) :)

• 1200F is stress relief - normalizing is a higher temp process
  • O1 benefits from a longer soak to help some of that alloy content along. Maybe about 25 minutes for that blade.
  • I'm not sure O1 will benefit much from cryo
  • Your 400F temper, if all went well, will give about RHC 62-63. Maybe consider bumping it to 450F

...... and most importantly, anyone who uses a 3/32 custom blade to pry an elk's knee joint deserves to have his tiny little p***er cut off! :mad:

my 2 cents.

Okay, I still have two finished blade blanks, I might re-temper at 450*

I would have to find it, I read a white paper by a tool company that talked about the benefits of cryo treating O1 for tools, they were able to show that cryo treating a cutting tool extended the cutting life more than double than non cryo treated. in their data they had as section on cold treatment -70 to -100*f and it had a smaller effect than the Cryo but it still enhanced cutting life of the tool.. anyway the kids like to see the smoke come out of the cooler...LOL cheep entertainment for them..

Back