NWG build

Shevtar

Hi, everybody
just wanted to post a video of my new grinder, based on NWG plans bought from BossDog. It is welded together and I chose to make the swivel arm to have one versatile instrumental arm. The contact wheel is simple castor polyurethane wheel, that is what I could buy locally in Ukraine, I asked a friend to turn it on lathe to have it more even, but it is a poor man wheel, the poly is too hard I think at 92D
motor is 1.5kW (2HP) 4 pole, 1450 rpm at 50hz that we have here, hooked to single phase 230 V through VFD (Chinese), also VFD makes it possible to change grinder speed, now it has 75Hz as max frequency on VFD and motor runs 2150 rpm at it, but I can put higher frequency if necessary. But the real convenience in VFD is the ability to slow down the grinder at the finishing stage and avoid overheating your blade.

[video=youtube;6VbZVdOdUcc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VbZVdOdUcc[/video]

Nice build.
I like how you solved the issue with the rotating platen attachment by using the extra jam bolt next to the pivot bolt.
How does the gas spring work for belt tension? Good? It all appears to be rock solid.

Nice build.
I like how you solved the issue with the rotating platen attachment by using the extra jam bolt next to the pivot bolt.
How does the gas spring work for belt tension? Good? It all appears to be rock solid.

Thanks Boss,
The jam bolt has its drawback, it bends rotating platen a little and if there is some play in the rotating platen pivot, the wheels can go out of alignment with driving and tension wheels and can lead to some belt tracking issues.
The gas spring is 80Nm (59 lb*ft) and provides good tension, also 60Nm (44.25 lb*ft)can be used, I used 60Nm on my first grinder and on this one because the tension/tracking wheel is solid steel and quite heavy I used more powerful 80 Nm to compensate for weight difference. It is a cheap one, I bought it for $1 at furniture supply store and it might go bad after some time (the first 60Nm one still works ok after 7 month of use), but it is only $1 to replace it for fresh one.

It looks like it will provide many years of use for you!

nice paint job too.

Thanks for feedback, I wanted it to look good and gave it to powder painting shop, cost was about $15 for this, guys did good job, but I didn't realized that because of quite thick paint layer there is almost no clearance left between the inner wall of tool bar holder and toll bar itself, I had to but some grease to be able to move and adjust it

That is a very nice build - I like the way your big contact wheel rotates on the same arm for the platen arm. A very nice job of building.

Ken H>

Back