Noob in Rhode Island

amsdadtodd

Hi All,

I'm Todd, and I'm new to the hobby. I started a few months ago by taking some cheap Chinese kitchen knives I had and the handles fell off. I figured it was a low risk way into the hobby since I was starting with trash, I would either create trash, or rescue trash back to utility. So, I bought a plank of bloodwood, a plank of purpleheart, and a plank of Brazilian Rosewood, and made some sharp looking handles. Now I have a set of cheap Chinese stainless kitchen knives with nice handles, and a lot of leftover exotic hardwood.

The bug is planted, I'm on to my next project. I picked up a low cost damascus full tang hunting blade from one of the web only dealers and I'm doing a handle and scabbard in bloodwood and brass. The dealer, by the way, Knifesupply.com was great to deal with, the product, well, you get what you pay for. I'll make the best of it. The damascus pattern is pretty sloppy, it's from Pakistan and only seven layers. I may just polish it up nice to downplay the striations. It is a rugged looking blade so it can make a nice knife.

Anyway, after seeing that pattern, I figure I must be able to do better, so I'm planning out a pit forge for when this darn snow melts off the yard. I figure I'll tray to forge my own damascus this summer, and if it doesn't work out, at least I will have a forge to use to harden blades for the foreseeable future. I know, that sounds like a lofty goal, to go from zero experience to forging damascus, but nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm an engineer, so I've been studying a lot of resources, it's time to go from book smart to trying it real world.

To wrap it up, I think I found a cool new hobby here, and it looks like neat community of folks involved in it. I'm starting out in it with 10 fingers, so I hope to keep it that way and have a lot of fun on the way!

Todd

Todd,
Yes you want to start with ten digits and exit with all ten if possible!
Welcome to the pack here at KDs! While the pattern may not be that great on that Paki Damascus, remember that the technology to make pattern welded steel came from that part of the world, so they are capable of making very servicable Damascus.

Google knife maker clubs in your area and I am sure you can find a hammer-in where the folks will show you how they make their Damascus and read Bruce Bump's WIP and others here on can billet welding.

Thank you Laurence, I was actually just reading through one of the forging forums, on my way through looking for more info. Appreciate the pointers.

I would certainly like to find a hammer-in near me, been keeping my eyes open but my corner of the country doesn't seem to be as active as other parts. Strange, really, the birthplace of American industry and we don't seem to have any of it left!

I get what you say about the history of Damascus, and I'm sure that had I started with something higher cost, it would have been a much fairer representation. I'll put the blame for that on my reluctance to spend much, rather than on the guy who pounded it out! Who knows, maybe I'll have a much greater appreciation for his efforts after I try it myself!

Todd

Hello Todd, welcome to the dog pound.
I heard my name mentioned.
Look around and ask a ton of questions. Most everybody here is willing to help out. Its a good hobby and a great adventure.

Thank you Bruce! I was actually just looking through the wip page and saw your name several times! I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions, I tend to ask more of them after I make my mistakes though....

Welcome on board Todd. Your journey is just beginning. You will have fun with this and your engineering background will help you.

George, thanks for the welcome, looking forward to learning all the nuances. One I learned this week is to not skip the step of putting on a face mask while sanding these exotic hardwoods! Bloodwood does a number on ones sinuses!

Tom, I also grew up in MA, in Walpole and I still work in Canton. That South Coast accent must really stand out in Alabama!

Back