New toy (Been hunting for a while) Not knife related

Brad Lilly

Moderator and Awards Boss
Well I got this stove yesterday. It is hard to believe but it was manufactured in 2004, not as old as it looks. The original purchaser bought it in 2007 and stored it away since then, I guess he decided to sell. The stove was not out of the crate when it came from the factory. The top is still covered in wax paper and grease. This model was first made in 1909 and they have changed very little since then. Enterprise foundry where it was cast has gone out of business so I doubt I will ever see another like it. My wife and I are very pleased

IMG_2356.jpg

Hey Brad,that's realy cool. I was looking at them yesterday in the Lehmans catalog. Are y'all realy going to cook full time on a wood stove? I would love to have one like that that is gas fired for my cabin but they sure are expensive

When I was a kid there was a pair of brothers had a farm outside my hometown in Nebr. I was raised in a small town of 480 people till I was 17 and joined the Army. Any way on with the story that just popped into my mind seeing that stove.

The brothers sold off the farm and both of them and there wives moved into town, neither or them had any children. The one brother built a four or five room house, it was covered in tar paper on the outside and they lived in it for years before they finally put siding on the house. It was the first time the family had indoor plumbing. They brought there old wood stove from the farm. That is what they cooked off of and it supplemented the other wood parlor stove they used to heat with in the house.

The woman and my mother became good friends. She had sugar diabetes and couldn't get around well so my Mother would stop by and see if they needed anything and we were there quite often till the woman passed away! I remember the smell of that house like it was yesterday! The smoke smell hung strong in that house even during the summer months. But boy howdy could that old woman cook on that wood stove.

She'd bake pies that you would have fought your Mama for the last piece. We stopped one day close too lunch and I remember her asking my Mama if we wanted to eat lunch with them. I think my Mama was about to say yes, cause it smelled good. Then the woman says, its not much, (Burt was her husband's name), anyway she say's its not much Burt caught a coon in the garden last night! I caught the look in my Mother's eye and I knew not too answer.:what!: My Mother made some excuse as too she had to go so as not hurt her feeling but we had too go! I remember asking my Mama if she had ever eaten coon before and she said yes and it was kind of greasy!

Wow I hadn't thought about that in years. Thanks for bringin back the memories!!:biggrin:

Cliff, no dis-respect, but coon isn't greasy.... tastes like fried chicken {grinning}. Well, it is a pretty white meat, possum is sorta greasy. At least it was the way Grandma cooked possum. I've heard if you put them up and feed a good diet for a couple weeks, then cook on grill they're good eating.

Yep, I grew up with Mama cooking on wood stove until I was..... not sure. Can't really remember when she got electric stove, but Grandma cooked on wood stove until.... oh, in the 1980's I think it was, around the time they got indoor plumbing. Grandpa didn't think indoor bathroom was right - felt you should go "outdoors". It took that old man years before he'd use the indoor bathroom. Never believed man landed on moon either.

None of their stoves where that fancy - Brad, that is one fancy stove! Does it have water grates to have hot water?

Ken H>

Ken, that was my Mother's opinion of them. I think its all in how you fixem. I was raised up in Nebr. till the age of 17 when I went in the Army. Up there they will put on big layer of fat, during the winter. Now I will admit that layer of fat don't stink like a possum but they have a good layer of it. I used to run a trapline in the winter and when its cold the fat ain't bad to get off the skin.

Now a possum the fat is a booger to get off the skin, if it ain't real cold when your scrapping. And the smell on your hands after skinning a possum,............well it ain't nothin a little lye soap won't help, might not get rid of it but will help!:lol:

Here is a recipe for Racoon, http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/how-to-cook-a-raccoon-the-south.html

There ain't much that I haven't eaten at one time or another, except possum, never could get around that smell I remember so well when skinning them out! There favorite dish is something that's been dead for a while, I think that maybe why they smell so bad! After a few trips to the buyer and not getting much money for the pelts, I learned how to stay away from catching them and skunks mostly. There just wasn't enough money in them to deal with the imposing odors!:nothing::biggrin:

Last edited:
That's a good link Cliff - I tried to interest my wife, since you met her, you know her response!! City girl thru and thru. {g}

We only skinned out young 'coons, those old ones were to tough 'n gamey. I'll try most anything, as long as it's cooked - not much on raw meats. A few yrs back while in Thailand my friend she say "Ken, you not like most foreigners, you eat what Thai eat", and we did eat some interesting meals.

Later

Back