New to the game

B

byfbo

Hello all! My name is Roy. I have finally decided to try my hand at knife making. By trade I program parts and run a 3000w CNC laser cutter. So getting my hands on steel has never been a problem! We cut a lot of knife blanks for some big companies and i see them all the time. Well I have finally decided to try it out! I have in my hot lil hand a defect knife (sheet bowed in the machine and the head come around and clipped it). It is a Kuhkri style knife that is made from 1095 1/4 carbon steel. Since its a dud i figured it would be perfect to practice on. My goals for joining this site are to learn something new and be proud of what I have done with my own two hands. I plan on being a good lil sponge and soaking up all that i can. I will eventually try to design my own knife. I have a small stockpile of 1095 1/4 inch material set aside for personal use! Anyways thanks in advance for dealing with my knife ignorance!

Roy

Welcome tot he pack Roy. It's good to have you here with us.

Not to discourage you from your efforts, but a Kuhkri is an awfull big knife for your first. I might recommend starting with a smaller project so that you don't become too frustrated.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone! Yeah murphda2 the Kuhkri is a huge knife but since its a defect i was gonna use it for practice! I have not even made a dent in it! I have just gotten done drawing up a knife that i will post later on. I think I will make it from 11 gauge 304 ss that I have laying around. I have a hunk of 1/4inch 1095 but i probly should start on something a lil thinner!

Back