New to knives and knife making.

Cameron Wilcox

i have only been seriously into knives for about a year or two and am just getting ready to start a project of making a knife myself and i stumbled on this forum, thought this is probably the best place for some suggestions on where to start.
any suggestions on what to buy/use and what go with for the design
P.S. only 16 and do not have a job yet so i have to go with relatively low priced options for now.

Aloha! I've only been doing this about a month myself, and the folks here have been a great help.

You could try putting together a kit knife - all you need are a couple of clamps, files, sandpaper and epoxy. Lots of fellas here have done some really nice work with kits, and you can go from under $20 for a kit, to much much more. If you had some $, the Sypderco Mule blade blank is a really nice piece of steel for a kit, and then you get creative on the scales. Although for the same $ you could probably get a piece of 1080, some tools, and have it heat treated, all around your own design.

Check out this thread: Absolute-cheapskate-knife-making-tutorial-by-Jonesy

And depending on where you live, you might be close enough to one of the bladesmiths here to go get some coaching.

Aloha! I've only been doing this about a month myself, and the folks here have been a great help.

You could try putting together a kit knife - all you need are a couple of clamps, files, sandpaper and epoxy. Lots of fellas here have done some really nice work with kits, and you can go from under $20 for a kit, to much much more. If you had some $, the Sypderco Mule blade blank is a really nice piece of steel for a kit, and then you get creative on the scales. Although for the same $ you could probably get a piece of 1080, some tools, and have it heat treated, all around your own design.

Check out this thread: Absolute-cheapskate-knife-making-tutorial-by-Jonesy

And depending on where you live, you might be close enough to one of the bladesmiths here to go get some coaching.

thanks, down loaded it right now. Might have to see if I can find any blade-smiths around my area.

Back