New Texas knife maker wanting to join the ranks

A346101

Hello, I am a west texan just learning to make knives. I found a class tought by some local knife makers and am finishing it up now. Trying to get a handle on all the tools I need to start my first knife on my own. Always ready for advice of all types!

Thank you all! Having fun finishing up my first knife and figuring out what tools I need/want for further knife making!Photo10301732.jpg

Welcome. I think I met your teacher at the knife show in Big Spring this past weekend. Hawkins, maybe? Can't remember his name, but talked to a guy who said he was teaching a knife making class in Angelo.

Welcome to Kinfe Dogs, pull up a seat and dont be bashful about asking questions. You have a broad base og knowledge form knifemakers of every level of experiance and style. I cant stress enoough, ask questions!!!!!

God Bless
Mike

Thanks again! Yes, Charles Hawkins was my instructor and I am staying in touch with him and looking to join our local blacksmithing/knifemaking guild down here in San Angelo. I am needing a few tips on putting a finish on the blade and handle material. My next 4 knives I am making are gonna be a basic skinning knife with 1095 HC steel and G-10 handle material and Hawkeye Diamondwood. I sandblasted my first blade, but dont want to do that on the next ones. I have a new dremmel tool and wondered if anyone had any advice on polishing tools for my dremel or any other advise as far as finishing up the handle and blade. Here are some finished pics, I still have to put on the final edge and finish.

1st knife.jpg 1st knife and sheath.jpg

Last edited:
I am trying to get a better handle on the different types of metal, their composition of elements, and what each type of metal is best suited for. I am also trying to get an understanding of the different heat treating, quenching, and tempering requirements for each type of blade steel. Anyone know where I can go to get this sort of information?

Back