New Student Work

antigoth24

This past week I taught my first course at the North House Folk School up in Grand Marais, Minnesota. The topic of the class was the making of a pattern welded puukko knife, handle, and sheath in five days. The course ended up having eight extremely hard working and enthusiastic students a couple of whom had a little smithing experience. The bulk of the class was brand new to knife making which makes me even more proud of how they did. They started with a fifteen layers of 15n20 and 1084 at 1/8 inch thick per layer, working in pairs with strikers they had all achieved two folds by the end of day one and forged their blades the next day. The remaining three days was spent hand filing the blades and sanding them, making the handle, and the sheath. We ended up with a total of 42 hours in the course all said with everyone finishing their knives and all but two finishing their sheathes. One student decided he wanted to do more of a leuku as opposed to a puukko, but I think they came out great and was very proud of them.
But now for pictures!

The shop:

My demonstration knife:

And the students knives:

This one I was particularly proud of the student for his meticulous handle work:

The leuku:

Thanks for looking!

Robert

Some very nice looking Puukko's, The one with the blue band really looked great and they all were better than my first knife that I made with me and a book. LOL
Fun sounding class to teach or take.

Great class! Very nice group of knives. I also like the one you favor. The total finished look and overall design of that puukko catches one's eye, making you to want to pick it up.

The Puukko design is a workhorse. Nicely done all around.

Looks like that would be a fun work shop. If your students are new to knife making they sure had a good teacher cause they turned out great!

Back