New Motor

Tom Militano

KNIFE MAKER
I'm thinking about replacing the motor I have on my Bader 2, 2" x 72" grinder, with a new 2 hp, reversible, variable speed motor with controller. Who has the best prices? I'm not having much luck locating what I want. Any advice on where to look would be appreciated. I've looked at a lot of the knifemaking supply places with not much luck. Thanks

http://www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com/Motors___VFDs.html

Buying brand new, it's gonna be awfully hard to beat Wayne Coe's prices. You might save a little more if you get the VFD from Wayne and buy a surplus or used 3 phase motor elsewhere. It just depends on how much you want to search around.

Now that being said, you can also find cheaper VFDs out there than the one Wayne Coe sells, but they're typically not nearly as good, and usually require dust protection of some kind.

Thanks Andrew! I am ready to answer any questions either by telephone, pm or e-mail. I'm here to help.

Hey Tom,

Andrew is correct, I went through the same process trying to find a better deal and it didn't happen. Give Wayne a call very nice guy to deal with.

Take care,

Mike

Tom, If you are going to use a VFD you must have a 3 phase motor. These things are pretty amazing. For a 1.5 hp motor you have single phase 115v going into the VFD coming out it is 240v 3 phase running an 1800 rpm motor up to 3600 rpm. Then it does some other things too. Surge protection, evens out the spikes, provides overload protection and over heating protection, etc. The shaft size on a 56C motor is 5/8".

I know that nobody believes this but I have not been able to slow my 1.5 hp motor down and I have challenged other knifemakers to slow it down. I have to hold the grinder down to keep them from turning the grinder over. The motors I sell have a service rating of 115% which means that it provides up to 115% of the rated power or almost 1.72 hp. The advantage to using a 1.5 hp motor is that 115v power is readily available everywhere. What if you want to move the grinder to another location, or you move or you want to take it to a demonstration or another knifemaker's shop?

Wayne I have a 2 hp three phase motor running off single phase 220. If I understand it right, and I probably don't, it converts it back to three phase power. My problem with the VFD I have on it now is that it's a digital readout and takes forever to speed up or slow down. I want one with a rheostat on it that reacts instantly. I think one leg of my motor is gone too, because I can only get it up to 60%. Giving me anything electrical to play with is like giving a young monkey a straight razor to play with, you just shouldn't do it.

Thanks Andrew! I am ready to answer any questions either by telephone, pm or e-mail. I'm here to help.

No problem Wayne... Thanks for not charging a ridiculous markup with every VFD and motor you sell like other companies I've seen.
If I can ever get out from under some of these bills enough to save a little, I may just get a VFD from you....

Tom, you can go to my website www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com then go to the Motors and VFD page to see pictures of the VFDs. They do have potentiometers (what you are calling a rheostat). They also have a break which stops the motor very quickly. When I sell the motor, vfd, wiring kit I include my instructions for wiring the VFD to my motor. Some motors have different wiring requirements. My instructions are specific to our applications and to my motors and VFDs. The VFD comes with a manual that is about 20 pages long. My instructions are one page. Short and to the point.

Guess I know what I'll be asking my wife for (for my birthday... she's already said she knows I NEED one... the battle is half over). Now all I need to do is prepare her for the value... fortunately she's not cheap so that shouldn't be to bad.

A few years ago I said, "honey, how about we go up to Woodcraft and look at their wood lathes?" and she said, "How about we go up there and buy one?" One powermatic 3520 b sitting in my shop and she loves the bowls, spice grinders etc... Now, a few knives for the kitchen, couple for the daughter... she'll be cooing about what a great decision.

Wayne, hope to be contacting you in September (payday for my contracting). ;)

I highly recommend Wayne. Great guy to deal with and the customer service is awesome too.
He answered all my questions without hesitation....and there were quite a few, weren't there Wayne?
I'm loving my VFD and 1.5 hp motor that I got from Wayne.
I put them on my NWG that I modified so it is direct drive.
I have yet to be able to bog down the motor, and I have put what I thought was some pretty heavy pressure on it. I really don't see the need for a 2 hp motor for knife making. But that's just me.
I used to use a friends Bader with no speed adjustment...I'll tell you what, having the speed adjustment is the cat's meow...
My buddy now comes over to my house to use my NWG over his Bader! :1:
Oh, if you go with the VFD and motor from Wayne, I highly recommend getting the wiring harness for it too. The cable glands make it look like a professional wired it up and they help seal the VFD and wiring box on the motor from dust. It was pretty easy to set up with the instructions included from Wayne, and my electrical knowledge is VERY limited.:31:

Last edited:
Gonna have to hold off for a while until I see what the problem is with our central air unit. I'll sure be glad when I win the lottery.

Guess I know what I'll be asking my wife for (for my birthday... she's already said she knows I NEED one... the battle is half over). Now all I need to do is prepare her for the value... fortunately she's not cheap so that shouldn't be to bad.

A few years ago I said, "honey, how about we go up to Woodcraft and look at their wood lathes?" and she said, "How about we go up there and buy one?" One powermatic 3520 b sitting in my shop and she loves the bowls, spice grinders etc... Now, a few knives for the kitchen, couple for the daughter... she'll be cooing about what a great decision.

Wayne, hope to be contacting you in September (payday for my contracting). ;)

you're a lucky man...... hahaha

Back