New Kydex Press

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Debated on whether to put this in Shop Talk, or the sheath forum, but I figured most folks visit both.....so I put it here.

Well, I had a "Monday" today in the shop. Had big plans for finishing all the kydex sheaths for my knives going to the Bosie show. NOT! The very first kydex press of the day.....I broke my kydex press.....:sad:

After wondering around the shop for a little while, I stumbled across one of these.....
http://www.harborfreight.com/flooring-jack-98787.html
About a year ago they were on sale, and I purchased two of them, thinking I could make a vise for stacking up damascus billets. That didn't work out so well. BUT! The idea hit me that it might work out better for a kydex press. It took me most of the afternoon, but I just tried it out and this thing works great! Because it only ratchets one way, I had to build the kydex press so that the top "jaw" is stationary, and the bottom jaw moves.....but it works fantastic!

Thought others might be interested, if you make kydex sheaths.

I used a scrap piece of 2" thin walled square tubing for the upright, 1/4" plate for the top, and some other assorted scraps to bring it all together. A few cuts, some "pile it" welding, and a spritz of Hammerright paint= New Kydex Press! :)

Here are some pics:

KydexPress1.jpg

KydexPress2.jpg

KydexPress3.jpg

KydexPress4.jpg

KydexPress5.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I was screwing up some sheaths yesterday and trying to think of a way to build something similar. Thanks for doing the leg work Ed.

Nicentool build.. I need to get one of those floor jack things, maybe two of them. They just look cool.

Hey Tracy!

My initial thought on those floor jacks was for clamping the stacks for damascus.....but it would get just ABOUT tight, and wouldn't catch the next tooth in the ratchet action....but with the foam in the jaws, I can "reef" down on the handle and get that next tooth to engage......I think as long as there is some "give pressure" when closing it, those floor jacks could have a lot of neat uses.

Nice kydex press, Ed. I'll bet that those jacks could be used for a bunch of things. Maybe a quenching plate setup?

Some good thinking there, Ed. I use the black foam with mine, haven't seen the orange material you've got wrapped over the top of it, though. Looks like a very efficient tool!

I've never like the foam that is sold as "kydex" foam......it's really cheesy, and after just a few sheaths, it starts melting/squishing down and quickly becomes useless. The black foam is actually old 1/2" thick anti-fatigue matting. For small (thinner) knives, those single layers of black foam were good. But, it wasn't enough thickness for larger knives. The orange is a silicon foam, good up to 400F, with just the right combination of density and give for my tastes.

I molded 6 sheaths in it this morning, and it took less than 30 mins! Gotta like that. :) The next step MIGHT be to try some larger jaws....but for now, it's adequate for the size knives that I normally put in kydex sheaths.

Ed, thanks for sharing!

After looking at the pics, I've come to realize where all the drill bits I ever lost ended up at. Your shop!! LOL

LOL! I kinda had to squeeze that kydex press in between a couple of my drill presses.....I ran out of bench space a long time ago! Seems no matter how many drill bits I have....I never have the one I need! :)

That brings up another thought.....if you don't have one, you REALLY need to put a Drill Doctor sharpener on you're "to buy" tool list. I've worn out 3 of them, and am on my 4th one......it's literally saved me thousands of dollars in drill bits!

aint thatt the truth ed,im sold on the drill doctor. thanks for info on press want to make kydex badly

Nice Build Ed!
Any idea of a source to get the orange foam?
Last press I made, I bought a camping mat. It worked but not for more than 5 or 6 sheaths, then got the results you spoke of.

Thanks for sharing and taking time to post the pictures, I know for me pictures make the lightbulb go on!!

I think so Don. If you noticed, that foam comes in either adhesive backed, or not........there is not a glue around that I can find that will hold the non-adhesive backed stuff.....which is why on my kydex press, you see that I stapled the foam in place.

Back