New here.

Oldnretired

Hi. I'm retired and started researching and putting together knives a while back (I don't forge or really want to). I have lots of time now and started putting together my own knives so I could get exactly the right fit, balance, type of steel, blade design etc. that I want in different knives for different tasks.
About 30 years ago I fitted my own sambar grips for my blackhawk. Put them on, shoot it and adjust-repeat until it just naturally aimed where I wanted it to.
That got me to thinking about knives and how alot of knives I own just don't feel right in my hand.
I am also fond of 1800's carving knives with their thin blades, nice patina and history. Always puts a smile on my face to pick one up.

Will do. Probably in a day or so. Going to go shovel snow now. Turning 70 in a couple of months and then dinner.

Will do. Probably in a day or so. Going to go shovel snow now. Turning 70 in a couple of months and then dinner.
Welcome aboard Youngest - compared to many of us anyway (78 here). As suggested before, post some photos of your work. Do you have a shop with tools already? OR, building ideas for shop 'n tools? Shop and tools can seem expensive, but compared to a new bass boat or Harley Davidson it's not all that expensive. Unlike a Bass boat or Harley the tools will hold there value, so tools are more like an investment.

Well it seems I need third party software to post pictures....................I know Imgur etc. I just don't like the idea of putting photos of my personal posessions on some server, god knows where and leaving them there forever. I'll have to do some research when I get time and see if it's forever or?

On this great KnifeDogs forum you can post directly from your computer. Let me check and make sure that's still a valid statement. If so, you'll need to leave the photo with same name in same location on your computer so the link won't be broken. This is a slipjoint under construction with a Go-Mai blade with 5 layers, 2 cladding layers of SS, 2 layers of nickel for bright strip, then the core of high carbon give 5 layers for Go-Mai.
IMG-3110.jpg

Even from your phone.
Select
Attach files
Select the photo you want
“You may have to resize

On my iPhone I choose other , then
Other and choose large
Select done
The photo shows up in this conversation box
You then have the ability to insert full image.

I never thought about using the phone - I like a "real" computer, as in my desktop when at all possible. I understand lots of folks these days use their phone and don't even have a desktop computer, or notebook.

On this great KnifeDogs forum you can post directly from your computer. Let me check and make sure that's still a valid statement. If so, you'll need to leave the photo with same name in same location on your computer so the link won't be broken. This is a slipjoint under construction with a Go-Mai blade with 5 layers, 2 cladding layers of SS, 2 layers of nickel for bright strip, then the core of high carbon give 5 layers for Go-Mai.
View attachment 83918
Ok got it now. Here's a couple of pics that were requested. Please bear in mind that looks were/are secondary to me and the way they feel in my hand is of more importance. On the Blackhawk grips I left the gun frame slightly proud on purpose as it helps me to index it in my hand. The bolsters on the antlers still need some refinement (I do care some about looks) Also the blades are mirror polished stainless but that didn't show in the pictures. The walnut grips have no finish on them yet.

Attachments

• 001 ANTLER.jpg
    001 ANTLER.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 002 ANTLER.jpg
    002 ANTLER.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 001 TURKISH WALNUT.jpg
    001 TURKISH WALNUT.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 002 TURKISH WALNUT.jpg
    002 TURKISH WALNUT.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 11
  • BLACKHAWK 001.jpg
    BLACKHAWK 001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • BLACKHAWK 002.jpg
    BLACKHAWK 002.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 10
Those look good - keep making 'n posting. This is a great bunch of folks who are really good at sharing knowledge. I've learned a lot here.

Welcome aboard Youngest - compared to many of us anyway (78 here). As suggested before, post some photos of your work. Do you have a shop with tools already? OR, building ideas for shop 'n tools? Shop and tools can seem expensive, but compared to a new bass boat or Harley Davidson it's not all that expensive. Unlike a Bass boat or Harley the tools will hold there value, so tools are more like an investment.
I already have alot of hand tools and enjoy filing and sanding. Weird I know. I use mainly hand tools to do the majority of my work. No dedicated shop but a large shed that my wife wants me to convert to a shop so I'm not doing things in the house or waiting for the weather to change.

Back