New Hand Cranked Blowers

Hey Tammy...I think in the case of your forges being of a more permanent fixture going with the heavier duty of cast aluminum would make a better product. These stamped steel blowers will do the job but at least in the case of the one reviewed in this thread I would only use it for the small forge I built for camping. I have a Canedy Otto blower from the early 1900's that I use at home. It is a much more substantial blower but it is very heavy so for a portable forge it is less convenient. Plus the old blowers are getting harder and harder to find as well as being very expensive lately. The newer blowers also do not put out near the volume of air of the old ones but that is due to their smaller size. It will be interesting to see what you guys come up with I would love it if you would put me on your email list. My email is mcn.donald@gmail.com

Hi Don--
I put you on the mailing list. In mulling the question, I think you're right--our forges are made to last forever so the blower should be of similar durability. Even the cast aluminum is much lighter than the cast iron blowers, so perhaps that is a good balance between being light enough to be portable and still durable enough to last. I appreciate the feedback.

Tammy Whitlock
Whitlox Homestead-- Makers of the Whitlox Wood-Fired Forge
www.whitloxhomestead.com

We are working on designing/prototyping a geared hand crank blower to manufacture to go with our forges, similar design, but we had been thinking a cast aluminum housing. Do you think the light weight factor (stamped shell) would be more important than the sturdiness/longevity?

Tammy

Whitlox Homestead
Makers of the Wood-Fired Forge

www.whitloxhomestead.com

I don't think so. If you go light, stamped, you are competing with what China does. If you go heavier (and cast, if that is even economically possible), I think it would be a better way to go.

Back