New guy here...

-Xander-

Hey all, I have been lurking on this site for a short while now, but have been active on some other knife forum sites for a bit. Finally went ahead and signed up! I am in central CA, Stockton to be exact. Aspiring knife maker, seven day adventurist, construction worker, sailor (not navy), father, husband, perpetual student of life. I have been an avid knife user most of my life and what better way to appreciate your tools than to learn to make them. I look forward to accessing the vast amounts of knowledge on here and becoming a part of this community!

My interests in knives are mostly along the traditional, classic styles; bowies, hunters, slip joints, and more organic shapes. Although I do like some of the tactical type knives. I EDC a CRKT M16-13, the one with aluminum scales AUS-8 blade and pre auto-LAWKS, not the crappy zytel ones with AUS-4 blades. Right along side that is a circa 1948 Hammer Brand, celluloid, serpentine clip point jack that is hair whittlin sharp!

Most of my time will be spent in the Shop Talk section, but I do tend to wander around. I also enjoy Miniature knives! I am hosting a KITH right now on another forum (site witheld, dont want this to look like an ad) specifically for mini's.

I hope to get to know some of you on here, even though I recognize quite a few screen names already.

Fair winds and following seas-
-xander-

Well since you guys asked for pics, I will put a few up! Here is my first knife I built. Blank came from flea bay, like $10, 440C, pre hardened to 58Rc with mirror polish. Well the profile was all gnarley so I smoothed it out. Primary ginds were shoddy and wavy, so I block sanded for hours and hours finishing up with an 800# finish. I did the filework with rotary files keeping the heat buildup to a minimum. Scales are 50+ year old unstabilized myrtle from my (late) grandfathers shop, cut cross grain, finished with the ArmorAll method for Tru-Oil. Brass pins and West Systems 105/205 epoxy.

DSCN1985.jpg

DSCN2030.jpg

DSCN1991.jpg

-xander-

Last edited:
Back