New guy from SC

JTD

Hey Knife Dogs,

I'm James, from SC, another new hobbyist knifemaker/knife enthusiast.
Over the last year I've decided to get more serious about my adventure into knife making, and have found alot of helpful info on this site. I finally got registered, and figured I'd say Hi!

A little about me;
My goals are to learn how to make good well rounded knives, geared to outdoor/bushcraft/work use.
I'm trying to learn as much as possible on heat treating/ tempering/ steel types etc, but am new so am also trying to develop skills grinding bevels, and finishing handles. I've been piecing together equipment, and materials, and so far this is what I'm working with:

HT/Temper - Homemade mini gas forge, old toaster oven
Stock Removal - Grizzly 2x72, Kalamazoo 1x42, HF 1x30, angle grinder,drill press, various hand tools/files
Steel: Now primarily NJSB 1084, but started with various old files, and concrete saw blades
Handles/scales: Homebrew micarta/scrap un-stabilized woods
As time goes on, I'll probably invest in a kiln, but for now am happy just working with what I have.

With that I'm looking forward to learning alot more here, and meeting some new friends!

James

Last edited:
Welcome James! I like your forge made from an ammo can very cool! I'm sure you'll like it here on Knife Dogs!

Hi James,
Welcome to KDs. There are plenty of guys that can help you in the HTing forum. I will gladly help with any other questions I can.

Welcome to KD. I really like your shop. Its a great starting point much better than I have now! As stated before great idea with the ammo can.

Back