neoprene foam suppliers

elasmonut

Hi I've come to ask some advice, I make a few kydex sheaths and have been looking to uprgrade to a new press and better foam. My first question is, how much better is the neoprene moulding foam sold at places like usaknifemaker as opposed to the blue camp mat style foam I've been using up until now? Do you get more presses out of it?Less heat damage?
My second question is where can I buy it in larger and cheaper pieces, I tried here in Oz and was quoted $350 for 3ftx3ftx1", the small pieces plus shipping work out better.Here in Australia if you can't buy it in Kmart,your shot,knifemaking supplies here are like rockin' horse dung.
Anyway your help and advice would be appreciated.

MUCH, MUCH better! If you're getting heat damage on the foam sold for molding kydex, then you're heating the kydex too much. Personally, my kydex press has TWO layers of foam. The bottom layer is the typical foam sold for kydex molding, and the top layer is a silicon foam which has a much higher temp rating. I'm going on about 3 years with the same foam in my kydex press.

I have used the blue sleeping bag foam, it deteriorates with each press. That was until I covered the foam with strong paper towels then they worked great for years. I now use the black foam designed for the kydex presses and am much happier with it vs the blue foam. But hey if you can get the blue foam local I say use that. By the way I doubled the blue foam and it worked well.
CW

Back