Need Some Opinions....

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
I just finished up this Damascus Skinner with Camel Bone scales. I thought I could get away with white pins, but they are just not a tight enough fit to keep the edges from showing.

Should I just leave them alone of possibly drill them out and insert some black ones for contrast?

20230613_194552.jpg20230613_194601.jpg

I may try it. I have some nice black pin material and maybe if I dye the epoxy black I'll have better luck...
As Edward says drilling the pins out will be tricky, but I think black pins for contrast will look much better. Let us know how it goes

As Edward says drilling the pins out will be tricky, but I think black pins for contrast will look much better. Let us know how it goes

I may just drill out a small portion on each side of the pins and put a small plug in. I should have tested different pin materials, but I wanted an all-white look...lesson learned.

Thus the problem with g/flex and blade pro epoxy... I think I'm gonna switch to a good quality ca glue. CA will release with heat (250f) - epoxies won't. Otherwise you could just heat and press the pins out

You could probably drill with a 1/8" bit in the very center and then use that as a guide for a 1/4" bit to get the rest of it out.

Black would probably be best as it would hide the glue lines around the edges of the pins the best.

There's also always the option of coloring your epoxy white should you want to use another pin color (or just to make the glue lines as hidden as possible). I have different color dyes and little baggies of different wood sawdust types that keep around for just such an occasion.

Back