My one and only

K

Ky Greg

I was 24 when I made this. I worked on it while my wife was pregnant with our daughter...24 years ago. This Friday is all goes well our little girl will give birth to their second daughter. All this got me thinking about building that crude little knife so many years ago...I haven't made another since this, but now I'm getting older and I'm not the same impatient hot head I was back then and here lately I've been thinking about trying another. I'd like to be able to build something to leave to my grand kids someday, something that they know was made with them in mind.
Anyway, it ain't much to look at, but here's my one and only from scratch... it's just shy of six inches overall length, I can't remember what type metal the blade is made from, I do know the elk antler was given to me by a local doctor friend, and it did skin several deer back in the late 80's before it was retired.....and as you could guess, I made the sheath also, which has started to come undone over the years of storage shuffling.

mountainskinner1.jpg

mountainskinner2.jpg

mountainskinner3.jpg

You should make your grandkids a knife, I have things that my great grand father made and love them.

You've probably let the creative juices cook long enough, time to make another one.

+1 Make a plan and and Go For It !

Thought I'd also mention that if you trim that loose stitching to around an 1/8" or so and melt those ends with a lighter your sheath will probably last ya another 24 years.

Take care, Josh

Greg not bad for a first atempt. Just be warned you are about to be bitten by a bug and there is no known cure for it.

Hey Greg, still got my first. Looks like a forged banana, but i kept it just to show how far I've come...
nesemail2.jpg

Back