My first knife WIP

BrianAMeyer

Here's my first knife, I still have a little finish work I would like to do. As with all things, as you do it, you learn a whole bunch of things I will work to improve on. But I am looking for some constructive criticism as well, please let me know what you think. Thanks for looking.
IMG_4267.jpgIMG_4268.jpgIMG_4269.jpgIMG_4270.jpgIMG_4271.jpg

I do need to give credit here to Larry Franklin. He is responsible for getting me involved, and imparting the knowledge to get started. Not to mention helping to salvage the blade on a rough first attempt at grinding.
Thanks Larry.

Last edited:
That is an impressive first knife. You did well on the plunge lines. The flatter scales go better with a small knife like that than a larger one but I would try to round the edges a little more. Grinding the point off can be a problem. That was a bit of a problem for me to on a couple of my first ones, even though I profile with a hammer.

One point of concern is that there seems to be a spot at the heal of the blade where the tang is not flush with the scales. That needs to be corrected. I would also loose the choil in future blades.

For now, use the heck out of that knife and see how it feels in the hand as it does it's job.

Doug

Thanks Doug! I appreciate the help. I am going to acknowledge my ignorance on one of items you mentioned. What exactly is the choil?
Thanks again!
-Brian

That is the little half circle that you made at the junction of the blade and the ricasso. Some people do like them to prevent that small area on the edge by the ricasso that's hard to sharpen but all you are doing is grinding that spot away. The down side of doing that is that they can cause snagging while cutting with the blade.

Doug

Hey Brian looks pretty good just stop buy and we will finish it up and give her a pair of kydex pants what you think? And put a edge on it.
And like Doug said use the heck out of it its how you will learn what you like on it and what to scrap on the next.

Back