My first complete knife

Tcurry

O1 Toolsteel. OAL 6 3/4. Black buffalo horn handles. This is my first complete knife. Learned a lot from this first one, still working on improving my grinds. Also was my first attempt at making a sheath.
Comments and suggestions very welcome. Thanks for looking.

TC

buffalo knife 3.jpgbuffalo knife 2.jpgBuffalo Knife.jpg

Thanks Murph, it took me awile but Im happy with it. I just have to polish up the handles. Any idea what polishes horn really well?

Looks pretty dog-gone good for a first knife. They only get better from here. You learn something new on every knife you make. I have made a few hundred, and still learn new things on each one I make.

Keep up the good work and pay special attention to heat-treat, blade geometry, and fit and finish.

Thanks for letting us have a look............. and by the way, since it is your first......... don't ever let it get away from you. You will appreciate this advice in a few years.

Robert

Thanks Robert. Ive been reading up on everything I can, trying to take it all in. I appreciate all the advice.

TC nothing wrong with that knife. Looks very good for a first, now as Robert said, it can only get beter from here on in.

Tcurry, looks good. You ask about polishing buffalo horn, sand to at least 600 grit, and then buff lightly, if you don't have a buffer, you can use a piece of thin leather with white buffing compound on it and buff it with that by hand. The higher grit that you sand to the better the shine, also the slicker it will get in use, but it looks like you have put in some file cuts for a good grip.

Nice work, TC, whether it's your first or tenth! Boss Dog has a real good sheath tutorial on the USA Knifemaker Supply web
site and there are also some really good ones in the Tutorials section.

Back