Motor Question

Mike Martinez

I've slowly been building a grinder of my own design and have come to the proverbial for in the road with the motor. There are many choices out there and its even more daunting than deciding any of the other factors and materials related to build. The motor being the heart of grinder, it makes it rather important and costly. I've looked at all conventional suppliers and in that search came across THESE guys. The price seems to be right but I lack the knowledge to make an informed decision, as electricity has always been an enemy of mine. If I purchase this motor, what components will it require in order to operate?

If anyone could be of help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

That motor seems to have all of the specs you'd need for a NWGS, and for a pretty decent price too. I can't speak for the quality as I'm not familiar with that brand, but you may do some more searching for reviews just to be sure you're not getting a piece of crap. Looks like that link had four reviews that were somewhat promising.

As for what you'll need in addition to the motor:

SPDT on/off switch for turning motor on and off
3 prong (grounded) power cord for supplying power to the motor via a standard 110V outlet.
Appropriately sized wire nuts for making connections (probably red and or yellow)
Electrical Tape
"Romex connectors" (threads into your juction box to clamp in and out going wires in place)
separate switch box (if using a standard "light switch" instead of running a toggle switch directly from the motor's j-box)

If you're setting up for 220VAC, then you'll need a slightly different supply list, but I'd probably recommend 110V operation unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Somebody chime in if I forgot anything... ;)

The motor you linked is listed at 1.5 horsepower. That will pull right at 20 amps at 115 VAC (happy medium, most people's house voltage runs between 110 and 120VAC). That means it will max out a single 20 amp circuit. Now we're talking dedicated circuits and such, or anything else you have plugged into that same circuit is going to overload it, tripping breakers and overheating...never good. Personally I really discourage running things at max capacity.

2 options: Add a dedicated circuit (some nice side benefits) or drop to 1.0 hp. The nice thing about a dedicated circuit is that you can make it 220VAC and the motor will run cooler and more efficiently. Obviously a dedicated circuit required running wiring, installing a box, etc. and you don't sound too comfortable with that. Find an eelctrician who needs a new knife and work out a deal! <grin>

Back