Mini salt pot?

burchtree

This is something that has been on my mind lately -- I've always been interested in doing salt pots, but I do about 99-percent folders and I've been thinking about the feasibility of a "mini" salt-pot with about a 15-inch tube or so. Anyone have thoughts on this? Mr. Cashen? :D

I'm not Kevin, but it's absolutely doable. My salt tank is only 18" X 2" ID. You could build it whatever size you need, but in my experience the smaller the thermal mass your heating (to a point) the more accurate temps you can maintain. As you get larger and larger, there is a lot of "lag" in both up and down temps due to the increased thermal mass.

Michael, Here is a small salt pot setup MS Bob Kramer made for a heat treat demo at last years hammerin in Visalia Ca. It worked like a champ!
Scott

Attachments

• DSC_0102.jpg
    DSC_0102.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0103.jpg
    DSC_0103.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 37
Michael, Here is a small salt pot setup MS Bob Kramer made for a heat treat demo at last years hammerin in Visalia Ca. It worked like a champ!
Scott

I love that thing...talk about frankenstiening a right together..I really need to read up more on PID controllers to at least be able to put together a rig like that.

Back