Mini Lathe - Good deal?

Sean Jones

This is for sale locally for $300.00 Everything that's in the photo is included. Opinions?

And here is his description "Mini Lathe with all the accessories shown in the photos. Metal change gears, not plastic like the other makers. Quick change tool post. Bed cover protection. Carbide insert tooling."

I'd say it's a good deal - it's already got the Quick Change tool post added and a full set of insert holders. Variable speed it looks like. The lathe itself is perhaps in the $400 to $600 range, then the extra tooling. Go for it - you'll be surprised at all the uses you'll find for it

This is for sale locally for $300.00 Everything that's in the photo is included. Opinions?

And here is his description "Mini Lathe with all the accessories shown in the photos. Metal change gears, not plastic like the other makers. Quick change tool post. Bed cover protection. Carbide insert tooling."
For $300 it's a great deal! It looks like a Harbor Freight machine. New there 6-700 bucks. Not a fantastic machine but unless your doing Government work should do what you need to get done!

Sean, just as a follow-up comment - that size and style lathe is mostly suitable for cutting softer material like brass, aluminum, wood, and small steel pieces, without much repeatable precision. There just isn't enough strength in the lathe bed (ways) to handle heavier material. However, for the asking price that would have been a worthwhile purchase, just to see what it can do.

If you are interested in a "real" lathe, shop KSL or Craigslist and look for an old, well-cared for, 9-10" Logan or South Bend lathe. These will routinely sell in the sub-$1000 range depending on tooling. I have a 1950ish 9" Logan that is a perfect hobbyists machine. I first learned to used this lathe when I was a teenager, and it has cut a lot of metal since then.

Here is a good used 6" lathe, outside your area, but an example of a very useful lathe. Craftsman (often with a Wards label) sold a lot of lathes back in the day. These lathes were mostly made by Logan or South Bend.
1714663304782.png

Here's another example, much like the lathe I have. The price is higher due to the amount of tooling.

1714663536940.png

Thanks Bob. I've been looking for a metal lathe off and on for some time now. That Craftsman is a nice looking lathe. And somewhat in my price range. Thanks for the information. I'll keep looking.

Back