Making spring for lockback folder.

cdunn

I lost my instructions on heat treating the spring for a lock back folder, using 440C material and a Paragon oven. I realise that this is elemental but as I age my memory, I forgot what I was gonna say.

This chart might come in handy. Do you remember what spring hardness you were shooting for? I’d guess 45-50.
IMG_5766.png

Since around 45 to 50 Rc is considered good for a slipjoint backspring - or so I've been advised for several well know slipjoint makers. I'd expect about the same for a lockback spring - does that sound ok? For AEB-L or 14C28N I normally temper around 1100°F or so and don't bother with cyro or freezer. Just from oven to quench plates.

Since around 45 to 50 Rc is considered good for a slipjoint backspring - or so I've been advised for several well know slipjoint makers. I'd expect about the same for a lockback spring - does that sound ok? For AEB-L or 14C28N I normally temper around 1100°F or so and don't bother with cyro or freezer. Just from oven to quench plates.
Same here.

Same here.
Thank you for the information on heat treating lock back SPRINGS, most people i deal with like interlocks or frame locks so I haven't made a back lock in a good while. I can always count on you guys from Knife Dogs for the best information.

You can place the spring directly on the oven shelf or in a metal container for easier handling. Make sure the container material can withstand the high temperature. Soak the spring at this temperature for 15-20 minutes per inch of thickness. For a thin spring, this might be 5-10 minutes.

Back