Making a bowie/fighter

SHOKR

Hello!!

I finally decided to take a stab at this

Getting bit stressed with stock removal and local problems might leave me with no one (good) willing to HT my sverker 21 knives. So at least this will be from leaf springs, which would be relatively easy

I sketched and designed a few fighters or bowies but cant find them now, so i worked on those initial sketches

This project will take some time, since it will be my first official forged blade, my first guard, my first hidden tang, and first weirdly-shaped handle (i say weirdly because its really cool and i cant do it so far!) also MAYBE my first own Heat treat

I plan a somewhat WIP, hope it helps, is enjouable, and i get help along the way too :D

I ought to start forging tomorrow or monday, any suggestions or modifictions to those sketches?

20130719_163907.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Shawn

I have no experience whatsoever eith these so dont know... Actually i still havent figured put knife balance in general, but on these i think it would be infront of the guard, at ricasso at best

Will use the bar on top

Its a half of a truck's leaf spring, aprox 28*8mm (1.125* 0.32")

I want to go with 6mm/ 1/4" aprox to with thin it at the same time widening it to the blade with i want. Then start the 'standard' forging prcess which till now im confused about... Ahould be fun!

Ahmad,
I will vote for the middle pattern as well, the arch in the spine and the drop in the handle looks right to put your wrist at a proper angle for a fighter.

We are watching you! LOL.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I went with the middle one!
The drawing, only God knows what i will end up with after forging!!

Laurence, what arch in the spine?

As for the handles thats just a preshape to give me an image for the tang. It can change a bit, handles have always given me... A challenge.

Each squar is 2"*2"
20130719_234659.jpg

Last edited:
The middle one looks good. I look forward to seeing your WIP.

Thanks guys

Now i dont want to be negative, so i will say i did a job!!

After almost three hours i reached this and was content, if it didnt work out then i will see if i can turn this to another knife and start another one

But Josh Dabney gave me the idea that i can still rework this. So will give it a closer inspection and see

20130720_211051.jpg20130720_210954.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good from here as far as the profile goes.
Josh is correct, Most of the spring steels can be reheated and re beaten without any problems in my limited forging experence.

Keep those pictures of your progress coming.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

20130911_163424.jpg

after bit more trying with forging (not so successfully) the guy i work at his shop felt sorry for me and finished up the forging, thing is he reversed it, hammering the spine as the edge. so now i have really thin one

anyway i wont count this for the WIP, but i plan on finishing this one.

my fav. are the 1st, then 4th, then third
let me know what you guys think

Back