Made a batch of washers today.

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
I use these in construction of my slipjoint knives. They provide clearance to prevent radial scratches on the blade from opening and closing. They also provide a metal bearing surface on my linerless knives. I usually use stainless steel but decided to make this batch from bronze. I made 50 in about three hours and only 3 failed final inspection.
They are .096 ID X.285" OD X .008" thick. The .096" hole is for a 3/32" pin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 33
Good work Calvin - care to share how you created those? Did you use a rod, drill a hole, then use parting tool to cut off .008" washers? That sounds hard. OR - use a bronze sheet .008" thick and make washers? Making washers to that critical specs just seems to be hard to do. Bronze won't hold to magnetic table to surface grind. That sounds a real trick to make....

Ken H>

Good work Calvin - care to share how you created those? Did you use a rod, drill a hole, then use parting tool to cut off .008" washers? That sounds hard. OR - use a bronze sheet .008" thick and make washers? Making washers to that critical specs just seems to be hard to do. Bronze won't hold to magnetic table to surface grind. That sounds a real trick to make....

Ken H>

Or Ken,
He shrunk a bunch of bronze donuts!

Oh Laurence - you just had to mention donuts..... now I've got to have a late snack! :)

More likely Calvin has a supply of pixie dust.

Ken H>

Oh man! You guys crack me up!
Ken,I actualy took a series of photos showing the process. The photos are crappy cell phone photos but I will post them up if yall would like to know.

Calvin - we'd LOVE to see the process. I'm sure the cell phone photos will work just fine.

Ken H>

Back