Lowes Rubber shop mat, wow

JawJacker

I bought 2 of these to try out in my shop, man wish I would have done this years ago. I need about 5 or 6 more.I know a lot of you guys sit, but check them out. I don't think you can beat them @ 22 bux a pop. 3'x3'

Attachments

• Rubber-mat.jpg
    Rubber-mat.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 33
I do sit at my shop but I stand a lot when I do the markets here on Sundays and the new market I am starting on the 8th is Asphalt not grass/dirt like malibu was. Thanks. I was thinking about looking around for some nice 1" thick matting to put down when I will be standing and walking back and forth in my tent set up.

They help I have them at the stand-up areas that I have in the shop. Another thing I like about them is the holes sometimes catch those little parts when dropped. I need about a 12' X 12' area covered in them. Maybe I wouldn't lose so many little things on the floor!!:what!::biggrin:

I got the one I got a Big Lots a long time ago. I keep coming back and looking but haven't seen them since that day. I wish I would have bought the 7-8 they had that day. My fear was they would be a trip hazard, not so!

I went to the gravel pit, where they crush rocks into gravel, and got, what they call a "worn out" conveyor belt. I got about 100' for free. I have runners along all of my pathways in the shop. I also keep all of the large cardboard boxes, like washers, dryers, refers, etc. come in. I flatten them out over the remaining floor. It is amazing what a couple of layers of cardboard will do. I used to worry about them catching fire but if a piece of hot metal jumps out of the tongs I just reach over and pick it up and have a small scorched area. Never have seen any flame. Then, too, if I spill oil on the cardboard while changing the oil on the truck the cardboard, not the concrete, catches it. This area is not in the immediate area of the anvil.

I use the Horse Stall Mats from Tractor Supply. They are 4' x 8' and about 1" thick, they cost $44 each. I have four of them in my shop and they work great.

Jim

I use the Horse Stall Mats from Tractor Supply. They are 4' x 8' and about 1" thick, they cost $44 each. I have four of them in my shop and they work great.

Jim

And you can cut chunks off them for handle material.

I use the foam rubber mats 1/2" thick and 2' square with interlocking edges. The brightly colored ones made for children's play area cost about half as much as the black ones made for shop floors and they are the same material.

As the years have gone by, I find mats that provide some cushion become more and more important for me. My finish shop floor is covered in various colors of carpet (looks like Walt Disney threw up :) ) The grinder has a horse stall mat, with one of the Walmart exercise mats covering it, and the main finish bench area has some anti-fatigue mat,

The Hot shop has runners of old conveyor belt..... it not only helps reduce the foot strain, but if I drop something hot, the smell of burning rubber alerts me quickly. :)

Last edited:
I use the foam rubber mats 1/2" thick and 2' square with interlocking edges. The brightly colored ones made for children's play area cost about half as much as the black ones made for shop floors and they are the same material.

Calvin,
Thanks. I will look for those since I think I would have trouble finding old conveyor belt in my neck of the woods. No rock quarries and most of the industries that used stuff like that are gone by many years in S. Cal. Besides. I can play a game of Hop Scotch for my customers at the Farmers Markets.

Yep. I use the harbor freight interlocking foam ones too. Some kind of padding, regardless of what it is, is a real foot, knee and back saver. If you're not using something on the shop floor, you really need to be.

Back