Looking for a start in knifemaking

Kikai

Ok I'm looking to begin knife making as a hobby. I'd like to start out making small fixed blades with the stock removal method. I'll be getting a 2x42 grinder from sears http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921513000P?prdNo=3 but that will be down the line after I learn filework.

I would like recommendations for other basic tools needed to get started. (I/e files as in shape cut etc. drills and required bits) I was looking at craftsman since they replace them for free but I have no clue what cuts or bits I need. Also any other simple tools I should get (assume an empty shed with a workbench clamps and sandpaper)

Steel I was looking at working with was 154-cm or 440c and i'd be making smaller fixed knifes if that helps.

I'd like to keep my budget for hand tools under $150 but will break that if you guys deem it necessary.

Thanks in advance.

U will need files needle files clamps hand drill or drill press angle grinder, buffer and compounds hack saw or band saw a 1x30 sander for shaping and sharpening a 4x36 belt grinder for wood work a carbide scribe a digital caliber a welder a magnet to help flat grind ur work piece a bottle of acidtone to clean ur piece tung oil boiled linseed or walnut oil t-88 expoxy from www.woodcraft.com or 2 ton expoxy some kind of pinning

Material or some kind of fixture a dremel tool cut off wheels for steel a vice a small ball pin hammer to pin ur pins a heat treat oven a small toaster over for tempering the steel well that's just the tip of the ice berg please email me if u have any questions
O plus in the end if u really get in to this deep u need to break down and get a 2x72 knife grinder but I don't recommend u get one to start learning u infact need to start out with a 1x30 to get use to the belt movements but any way please email me if u need anything my email is

natasha.hines92@yahoo.com

If you will be sending the blades out for heat treat the steels you want to use are great. If you want to heat treat at home I would suggest 1080 or 1084. These can be heat treated at home with good results and simple methods.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Back