Laminated Coco Bolo Hunter

Karl B. Andersen

This one is a result of a lot of challenges.
I got the original inspiration for this from fellow knife maker Matt Bailey.
When I saw his knives this past year at his table right next to mine, I was sure he had been laminating Damascus on top of a high carbon core. After some cajoling on my part, he explained his process of laminating 203E to his 1095 and W2 core steels.
For those who don't know, 203E is a 'pressure vessel' steel - think propane tanks. When was the last time you ever saw a propane tank rusted through? There is enough nickel in 203E to make it HIGHLY! corrosion resistant, yet not so much to inhibit carbon migration.
203E has been used for decades as a Damascus nickel layer due to its propensity for carbon migration, yet enough nickel to etch in the Damascus contrast we all enjoy.
Here we see 203E as the outer laminate on my hunter.
As we grind on up through from thin to thick, I exposed more - to - less of the carbon migration from the welding process, and this etches out in a graduation of hardness giving the appearance of a "Damascus-y" display.
It is really rather lively in person. Right along the bottom edge we get this shiny pure iron layer that makes a nice "frame" for the laminate.
Mated all this up with 416 stainless take-down fittings and a Cocobolo handle.
(Thanks, Matt)

a4-1.jpg

a5-1.jpg

nice knife ,That wood put me in the hospital the dust is bad,bad, stuff i threw out all that wood, real close to killing me and i can't even look at the stuff.its a shame because i love it. LOL

Back