knife with medieval style blade

attila

I made 3 medieval style blades (London excavations),two for order and one for me :)
Two blades are forged from spring steel,one from bearing steel:
bc2e247ae0_zpsabf0ca35.jpeg

Two blades finished,befor sending:
P1080026_zps263393a1.jpg

Yesterday finished the handle for my blade-I use walnut,leather,brass and iron pins.
Total length 20,5 cm
Blage length 10 cm
Blade thickness 4,3 mm
P1080036_zps9f17e8a5.jpg

P1080034_zps8f1ae238.jpg

P1080038_zps97a51efb.jpg

P1080037_zps97db4c6b.jpg

Very nice work Attila.
I really think you have captured the look of Medieval craftsmanship.
Everyone carried a knife and that and your hands it what you would eat with. No forks back then! LOL.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I have to admit, I read medievil style blade and scrolled down to the first picture and thought, Yuck! another person is making the choice not to finish their blades and attaching descriptions like rustic, period, or medievil. That didn't last long as I scrolled down to the other pics. Wow! I really like the simple elegance of this very well finished knife. The lines and details of this build are IMO spot on. The lines speak to it being a useful tool and the details speak to the craftsmanship of the maker without being gaudy. I'm very glad that my initial impression was wrong.

Last edited:
I love it, a wonderful combination of simplicity of form with careful craftsmanship, and just the right amount of decoration. My kind of knife...

thank you all for the comments :happy:
I have to admit, I read medievil style blade and scrolled down to the first picture and thought, Yuck! another person is making the choice not to finish their blades and attaching descriptions like rustic, period, or medievil. That didn't last long as I scrolled down to the other pics. Wow! I really like the simple elegance of this very well finished knife. The lines and details of this build are IMO spot on. The lines speak to it being a useful tool and the details speak to the craftsmanship of the maker without being gaudy. I'm very glad that my initial impression was wrong.

I do not fully agreed with you.Sometimes a knife blade with forging marks,describing the process of making can be very nice,adding individuality for the knife.

Nice little Sgain Dubh. Just long enough to reach the heart.

P.S. The blade from the excavation in jolly ole england might have been left there by one of my kinsmen. We did visit there
from time to time. :cool:

Last edited:
Back