Knife #7

AJH_Knives

I call it the Cocobolo skinner, with sheath. this blade is a little on the FAT side.

Attachments

• DSCN3219.jpg
    DSCN3219.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN3220.jpg
    DSCN3220.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 24
The knife looks great! I like the extreme curvature of the spine.
The sheath is nice, but if you would use an edge beveler around the border and burnish the edges it would take it over the top. I hope you dont mind my being so bold as to offer a little help.

The knife looks great! I like the extreme curvature of the spine.
The sheath is nice, but if you would use an edge beveler around the border and burnish the edges it would take it over the top. I hope you don't mind my being so bold as to offer a little help.

Eric, I have been looking at the edge bevelers, they seem to come in a verity of sizes, what size would you recommend? also what do you recommend for burnishing

How does it feel when it's slicing? It may do fine for general work but I'm not sure about that much point drop on a skinning blade especially if I was interested in keeping the hide.

Doug

How does it feel when it's slicing? It may do fine for general work but I'm not sure about that much point drop on a skinning blade especially if I was interested in keeping the hide.

Doug

Eric, I have been looking at the edge bevelers, they seem to come in a verity of sizes, what size would you recommend? also what do you recommend for burnishing

Your right, edge bevelers do come in a variety of sizes. The size you want depends on the thickness of the leather you are using and the amount of bevel you want. I prefer to use the number 2 & 3 bevelers, but that is me and I generally work with 4-5 ounce and 8-10 ounce leather depending on what I am using the leather for.
For burnishing there are a variety of ways to do it. One way that is simple and quick is to take an old grinding belt with cloth backing and turn it back side out and then run the edge of your leather against that. Sometimes a bit of bees wax helps to get a nice slick edge. Another way is to use a deer antler tine and rub it against the edges. Again, bees wax can make this really slick. If you want you can also use anything that is smooth and rounded to give you the edge your looking for.
You can also use your belt grinder to even out the edges on your leather. I generally use a worn 220 belt to even edges.
Another tip is to use a stitch marking wheel...after you have gotten your stitching done, run the stitching wheel over the stitches to even them out and get a good professional look to them. I also tamp my stitches with a rawhide mallet to get them to relax into place. Then go over them with a stitching wheel. Again, stitching wheels come in a varieties best determined by the amount of stitches you want per inch.

You did a good job on the sheath, and I didnt mean to insult you. I just wanted to help.
Good luck, and keep it up!

Last edited:

Doug

You have a point there Doug, I like a good upswept blade end for skinning, but this one ought to work but wont be as handy.

thanks for the comments guys, I am waiting for a chance to skin and elk with it.. My buddy has a late season cow tag in Wyoming, I am going with, in hopes to try out the knife... I made one just like it for him as well, so either way it will get tested.

Back