Just another quick hamon (etchant) question

Black cat

I was searching for FC in my area... Doesn't exist. I could order it or make it but I may have another option.

I have heard from several sources to use muriatic acid (this I have a lot of)
I'm told its better than ferric chloride.
I have also read you can't use it because it destroys steel.

I'm no chemist but it seems to me that muriatic acid should work fine if not better than fine but it might have to be diluted idk?

Will it work, what's the process? Thoughts...

I would use vinegar before I used muriatic acid. Nasty stuff. I think it CAN be done. But CAN be done doesn't always mean SHOULD be done. :)

Ferric Chloride is not actually an acid. It's some form of salt, I believe.

But vinegar will work pretty well, it just may take a few more cycles and a bit more time to get the result you want. But it's cheap, safe and available everywhere.

To piggyback on what John said...... muratic just isn't a good choice. It has far more cons then pros. Besides the fact that its overly aggressive for etching blades, all you have to do is leave the jug/bottle open in your shop for a couple of minutes, and the next morning everything metal in your shop will have a coat of rust/corrosion on it... and that's in Montana, where humidity averages 20% or less..... higher humidity makes the issue worse.

Rather then search of "Ferric Chloride", search for "PCB Etchant"..... You'll find it.

Wow did not know that about MA, good to know. I store it away from pretty much everything just incase.
For FC PCB. That also doesnt exist here. No Radioshack, no electronics or circuit board shops. Just doesn't exist :p

I can order it online and have been considering that but I really REALLY hate ordering anything lol. Mostly because of where I live there is a 50/50 chance it will never make it to me and then i'm out the cost. The joy of living in the middle of nowhere.

I think I will order some PCB either way but in the weeks/months waiting for it to reach me i'll try vinagar. It's my first attempt at a hamon so I do want it to turn out well. Vinegar would be mostly an experiment for me because I hear PCB does a much better job idk... Now i'm rambling lol

I forgot your in a remote area, sorry bout that. Pcb works well when it is warmer I found out about bath temperature gets you a faster deeper etch. Or Im juat new and have tried using it at the 40 to 50°f with slow results.

Back