Interim WIP

ricky_arthur

I'm waiting for handle material so most of my knives are on hold for a few more days. So I started another. In This case, I made a knife to fit a piece of wood as opposed to the other way around.

Here it is so far. With each knife I make, I like to try something different. The holes in the blade are just that in this knife. We will see how it turns out and if this piece of 1084 makes it through HT with the blade designed this way.

image.jpg

here is the filework on the spine.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Here is an update. Blade is finished and heat treated. Just for kicks since this is my first time working with 1084. I coated the spine and blade with furnace cement. I wanted to see what kind of hammon activity I would get with 1084. On such a small blade and with the holes I drilled, I didn't expect much. It turned out better than I thought. Just a quick vinegar etch and wipe down and this is how it looks. image.jpg
image.jpg

Shout out to JDale. I got this piece of 5000 year old Bogwood from him. He told me when He sent it that it was an odd shape, Kinda long and thin. Before it even arrived I had scribbled out a pattern, cut it out, ground it and heat treated it. When It got here the handle fit perfect. :) It is my first blade from 1084 and my first time to put liners under the scales.

Subtle hamon, file work down the back of the handle. One thing I learned was to use a slower setting epoxy to allow the bubbles to get out of the filework. I have another knife drying right now and the slower epoxy is obviously better for this.

How did I do?

3AB53994-1EAE-4676-B0D4-F1D64896FB75-824-00000147770445B4.jpg

E01083B8-CDA4-4A7A-8F69-09C0D588F1C3-824-0000014789EA6965.jpg

Back