Interesting video

opaul

I was watching a video on you tube and I found it so intriguing that I’m going to try it.
The concept and application makes a lot of sense to me, but would love to hear your opinion.
For making a hidden tang knife you use fostner bit ( although I’m sure a regular drill would work). A wooden dowel a little longer than the length of the tang, slotted in the middle to accept the tang. Drill the hole in your handle to accept the dowel. I’m envisioning a 1/4” dowel and a 5/16” bit. Glue everything up.
I’m going to try this next week.

Yeah, I've seen it done on YouTube. Simple Little Life is one that springs to mind. Makes sense but can't really get a large tang doing it? Keep us posted!!

Yeah that’s a wa handle thing. Might want to go a little bigger than .25. That’s a pretty small tang, I believe most people are doing 3/8”. It is a pretty neat construction process. I have a different method for chefs knives I really like. It’s very similar but involves resin casting instead of a dowel. If anyone is interested I’ll share the process freely in a different thread.

Yeah that’s a wa handle thing. Might want to go a little bigger than .25. That’s a pretty small tang, I believe most people are doing 3/8”. It is a pretty neat construction process. I have a different method for chefs knives I really like. It’s very similar but involves resin casting instead of a dowel. If anyone is interested I’ll share the process freely in a different thread.
I’ve actually drilled a larger hole in the handle stock, filled it with fast set epoxy and inserted the tang wrapped in Teflon tape. Pulled right out and not much clean up required. Would like to see your method!

I’ve actually drilled a larger hole in the handle stock, filled it with fast set epoxy and inserted the tang wrapped in Teflon tape. Pulled right out and not much clean up required. Would like to see your method!
I’ll post it up tomorrow morning. I’ll have to make a couple drawings in the morning, I don’t have pictures, but it’s really quick and easy.

I watched it on the YouTube app on my TV. The maker is Simple Little Life. He has multiple videos - you will enjoy and benefit from many of them. I know I did.

Back