Impala Horn Filler

wmhammond

Hello. I have an Impala Horn (antler) that I want to use as a knife handle. Problem is that it is hollow. In order to use it as a handle and have the kind of handle stability we all require I am going to have to fill it with some liquid that will pour into the hollow horn and then dry rock hard so I can then drill it out for the tang. Obviously, I can fill it with epoxy but I think it will be expensive and heavy. Any suggestions on a different filler that would be less expensive and and not so heavy but still structurally aound and that can be worked with woodworking tools. Thanks for the help.

Wallace

When I was a kid I made one with some impala horn for the handle. I used Bondo to fill it up. It worked, but it’s not something I would do nowadays. I think epoxy or Acraglass rifle bedding stuff would work better.

Bondo might work. It heats up quite a bit as it cures so I'm not sure how that would effect the horn. 24 hour epoxy heats up but not as much.
As far as wood goes, it would have to be a VERY stable wood and VERY dry I think and totally encapsulated in epoxy. Wood shrinks and expands with humidity and I could forsee problems down the road with srinkage/swelling with humidity or freezing temperatures.
I'm planning on doing the same with an impala horn and using K&G epoxy as I've used it before and like it alot. I plan on using a filler to keep weight down. I haven't decided on what filler yet but research on synthetics and epoxy compatibility should solve that problem for me. I just haven't done the research yet. Probably synthetic of some sort though for stability. Maybe I'll have to break down and but some of those micro ballons for epoxy I've read about.

I would get some of the Amazing Clear epoxy then you can color it in case you grind thru. This is the same stuff they use to make handles. I would get it at Michael's and look for a coupon too. Mix 50/50 put some heat to it to get rid of bubbles. Good to go! PS if you wanted to lighten it up they make a filler that is basically BB sized clear pellets that pour into cavity then pour epoxy over it.

Last edited:
Back