Im Back! And my most recent knife

Justin W.

Hey guys I know it’s been awhile since I’ve been on the forum. I have been super busy and haven’t had time to be involved on here. Anyways I’m gonna try to be more active whenever I complete my knives in the future

This is my most recent blade it made from 1084 and has a ironwood handle with G10 liners and stainless pins 693966939769398

am I seeing what I think is an uneven plunge line terminating at the spine deeper on the left side than the right. In any case it is aways more visually pleasing not to have the plunge cut through the spine.

am I seeing what I think is an uneven plunge line terminating at the spine deeper on the left side than the right. In any case it is aways more visually pleasing not to have the plunge cut through the spine.
That is exactly what that is I’m not real sure how to fix it the next time around though

That is exactly what that is I’m not real sure how to fix it the next time around though
Justin do you have a file jig? This would help in grinding the plunge lines. Also stoping about 1/8” or so from the spine will help with the issue called breaking the spine.
Also paying attention to the edge center line scribed in the beginning stages of the grind will help.
All of this takes time at the grinder. You’ll see improvement with each future knife you grind.
Keep up the good work.

Justin do you have a file jig? This would help in grinding the plunge lines. Also stoping about 1/8” or so from the spine will help with the issue called breaking the spine.
Also paying attention to the edge center line scribed in the beginning stages of the grind will help.
All of this takes time at the grinder. You’ll see improvement with each future knife you grind.
Keep up the good work.
I did make myself a grinding Jig and that has helped me a ton. How do you keep that line crisp all the way up on a full flat grind knife without breaking the spine at least a little bit ? Also why is breaking the spine a bad thing? Thanks Guys!

Back