How Many Knives at Once...

I am literally too ADD to work in dedicated batches. As Alden said, I know it is better in all aspects production-wise to work with large batches but my interests wander too much for that. I have a lot of those magnetic tool holders lined up to hold WIP's. The far left is for roughed out knives which I have not HT'd. The far right is for knives that are ready for handles. Everything in-between is on a spectrum of doneness. Depending on what I feel like working on that day, I pick one or two and roll on. Today may be handles, tomorrow may be heat treating, Sunday may be forging Damascus. Just remember, I am PT only and I do not rely on selling knives to feed my family. I do not take money upfront, I do not like the stress that creates because if I want to go fishing tomorrow, knife work stops. Everyone who orders a knife from me knows this ahead of time and are OK with it. I have been operating this way for a couple of years now and it suits me way better because I was getting stressed out trying to "meet demand" so to speak. I am overjoyed that people like my work enough to spend their money on it but I was starting to hate making knives and this was my solution because I do not want feel that way. This is not really what the OP asked but I felt I would share in case he is going down a rabbit hole I have already escaped from. Just my way of doing things.

I am literally to ADD to work in dedicated batches. As Alden said, I know it is better in all aspects production-wise to work with large batches, but my interests wander too much for that. I have a lot of those magnetic tool holders lined up to hold WIP's. The far left is for roughed out knives which I have not HT'd. The far right is for knives that are ready for handles. Everything in-between is on a spectrum of doneness. Depending on what I feel like working on that day, I pick one or two and roll on. Today may be handles, tomorrow may be heat treating, Sunday may be forging Damascus. Just remember, I am PT only and I do not rely on selling knives to feed my family. I do not take money upfront, I do not like the stress that creates because if I want to go fishing tomorrow, knife work stops. Everyone who orders a knife from me knows this ahead of time and are OK with it. I have been operating this way for a couple of years now and it suits me way better because I was getting stressed out trying to "meet demand" so to speak. I am overjoyed that people like my work enough to spend their money on it but I was starting to hate making knives and this was my solution because I do not want to feel that way. This is not really what the OP asked but I felt I would share in case he is going down a rabbit hole I have already escaped from. Just my way of doing things.

This is just what I'm doing! This is nothing more than a hobby for me. I don't do batches of the same design or runs of blades. I may do 3 or 4 of a pattern people like. I do sell some knives here and there and it's nice to make some money to throw back at the hobby.

Last year I got way too many orders that needed fulfilling by Christmas, and it was very stressful. I never take money up front, and I will not be overburdening myself ever again. It really made knife making no fun...

I just bought magnetic holders myself and have my knives lined up in the same manner.

This is just what I'm doing! This is nothing more than a hobby for me. I don't do batches of the same design or runs of blades. I may do 3 or 4 of a pattern people like. I do sell some knives here and there and it's nice to make some money to throw back at the hobby.

Last year I got way too many orders that needed fulfilling by Christmas, and it was very stressful. I never take money up front, and I will not be overburdening myself ever again. It really made knife making no fun...

I just bought magnetic holders myself and have my knives lined up in the same manner.
Ditto to you and Chris.
I also don’t take money up front and if the customer has been a long time member of a forum with good reviews I send them the knife and ask for payment after they receive it.
This has been a good model for me except for once and I sent two knives and there was a mix up with Venmo that didn’t go through and then he ghosted me for a couple weeks but he finally came through.
Now I send a photo of the finished knife and ask for payment and ship once I receive it.
Stress from a hobby is not conducive to a happy shop. I’ve learned over the past years to have a few knives available around Christmas for last minute shoppers. But asking for a custom job two weeks out is a no go for me.

Back