How hard ?

izafireman

I am about to have a large sheet of Elmax and a sheet of Vanax laser cut for blanks. The blanks will be professionally heat treated in bulk for me to grind out in the hardened state. I have the choice of a vacuum heat treat or a salt bath. I think uddeholm say a salt bath is a good idea for Elmax. But what are thoughts of those who have had Elmax treated themselves?

Finally I have the option of a sub zero soak. I am in two minds of whether to do this for from my own point of view I think yes as it would mean HRC 60-61 but I can sharpen the finished blades. But would it be better to go for HRC 59 so the end user who might not be so good at sharpening could get an edge easier?

I can't say anything about the steels that are in question. But AEBL hands down preformed better with cryo in my shop.

I'm pretty sure those two steels you mentioned require cryo treatment. I would definitely NOT skip that step.

As to how hard: My opinion is to harden the blades for the sweet spot on that particular steel. (Or else why use a particular steel?) For example, I’m sure you chose Elmax for a reason. Don’t deviate from the prescribed treatment that makes Elmax what it is. There are much cheaper alternatives than kinda-sorta Elmax.

I’m of the opinion also that easy to sharpen means quicker to dull. Back when diamond stones and good water stones cost a fortune this was a real concern. Nowadays a diamond stone costs roughly the same as any decent stone.

There’s something to be said for a knife that is easy to sharpen, but not at the expense of poor edge holding.

Basic carbon steels are hard to beat for ease of sharpening and great edges. So is AEBL if you want stainless.

Back