Hi from Pasco Wa

Owen Vernon

For the past year + I had an idea to make a few hunting knives for family for Christmas. Nothing too extravagant I would buy the blanks and put a nice handle on it an Viola!. So fast forward about a year to May this year. I had 2 benchtop drill presses and one was a bit newer and nicer than the other. We had just moved and the new place didn't have as much workbench space as I was used to so I opted to sell the older one. I got a text a few days later and set up a time to meet and that is when I met David Roeder. He bought the drill press and asked a few questions about what I was setting my shop up to make. I told him I was going to try to get into knifemaking but it would be a gradual thing as I have no place for a forge etc. That I was going to start with handles on blanks and work my way up. He tells me he is a full-time knife maker and to get ahold of him if I have any questions. So a week ago I decided to make a knife vise I had seen David's and I looked at some others and I came up with a plan and I built one. I was pleased with the design so I took it to David's house he was impressed enough that he wanted me to build him one. So now I'm making vises. A coworker wants 4 knives for Christmas I still have mine to do also. LOL funny how things happen.

Back