Hey BB

Indian George

Thing you can build one like this???
http://whalingcity.net/picture_whaling_rocket.htm
New Bedford Whaling Rocket And Gun
The Whaling Rocket and also the Harpoon Gun took the place of the hand held harpoon and greatly
improved the efficiency and safety of the hunt.
It allowed whalers to be at a greater distance from the kill and therefore less in harms way
from the whale's retribution.
Whales had sunk ships and taken the smaller whale boats for a "Nantucket Sleigh Ride" sometimes
causing the smaller craft to become lost from the mother ship.
A "Nantucket Sleigh Ride" was when a smaller whaling boat hooked onto a whale and the whale took off
dragging the smaller boat with him or her ...whatever sex the whale was.
When the whale sounded and went deep, the line sometimes ran out and if it was tied to the boat,
the boat could be pulled under water very quickly and men lost their lives in that way.

Attachments

• whaling_rocket_x575.jpg
    whaling_rocket_x575.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hi Geo,
We don't have too many migrating whales in Walla Walla but I bet I could bore out a damascus barrel big enough to launch a harpoon at the neighbors cat.
Interesting story. I like to visit your town sometime.

Hi Geo,
We don't have too many migrating whales in Walla Walla but I bet I could bore out a damascus barrel big enough to launch a harpoon at the neighbors cat.
Interesting story. I like to visit your town sometime.

Hey guys! How are ya doing? Looks like a fun weapon to make, But!
I am truly glad that we in the USA don't hunt whale anymore. Nor house cats!
Bruce if my wife every see's this? She will never talk with you!
If we every meet?

Babi & bear hunting is alright but please refrain from Cat & Doggie hunting!
After all! This is a family show! LOL.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Hey guys! How are ya doing? Looks like a fun weapon to make, But!
I am truly glad that we in the USA don't hunt whale anymore. Nor house cats!
Bruce if my wife every see's this? She will never talk with you!
If we every meet?

Babi & bear hunting is alright but please refrain from Cat & Doggie hunting!
After all! This is a family show! LOL.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/
Sorry about the cat joke. We dont even have a neighbor cat. But if you think about it we are all doggies and dogs chase cats. Just a fact of nature.
I agree about whale hunting. In the past man has taken what he wants with little to no regard to the consequences to our wild life and world.

Bruce, If you do go see IG make sure he cooks you one of his fabulous seafood dinners. By far the best seafood I've ever had!

I'd be there in a minute if it werent completely across the United States. Likewise for you and Laurence here in Wally World. Thanks!

And the same goes to you two Gent Knifemakers!
If you ever come to Sunny Santa Monica we can hang My Cutlery Store & Shop and then go for a nice swim in the ocean and at Beer 30! You know what we can do!

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

It's just good Ole Portagee seafood, this is the place to be if you like fresh seafood.:biggrin:

I love fresh seafood. We dont get much of here in Wally World though. Hey Me and Raymond should load up and hit the California coast to see Laurence and then the East Coast to visit George. At our age we could add it to our "bucket list" of things to do before entering the pearly gates.

I love fresh seafood. We dont get much of here in Wally World though. Hey Me and Raymond should load up and hit the California coast to see Laurence and then the East Coast to visit George. At our age we could add it to our "bucket list" of things to do before entering the pearly gates.
Sounds good to me.:biggrin::les:

Back