help with rockwell tester

jkf96a

just picked up a used rockwell tester. it belonged to a knifemaker who has passed, and the tester has set for 18 months or so. Just messed with it for the first time tonight and have a few questions.
It's a Chinese import, branded AccuPro. I think it's real close to the Grizzly or Harbor Freight testers.

What kind of oil goes in this thing? According to the manual (written in Chinese-translated English gibberish) when the dial spins too fast under the test load, it means it's low on oil. The manual specifies "machine oil." Any ideas?

Also, the anvil/pedestal won't go down, but did go up. Is this also related to the low oil, or is it something else?

In mine, the 'oil' goes in a small hydraulic cylinder and the cylinder movement speed is adjustable with a small hand dial / thumbscrew. (Inside the machine). If I was ever to need to top up the oil, I think I'd try brake fluid, but I doubt it matters much.

Movement of the anvil down, is sometimes restricted by the benchtop - it actually needs to pass through the bench for a wide opening. Ususally not a problem with knife thickness items.

Also, be sure the anvil is seated cleanly into the pedestal. A human hair between can make a difference of 3 rockwell points or more - and a burr on your test piece can just throw things way wonky!

Enjoy the adventure - and good for you for getting the equipment to test. You can't imagine the number of "oopses" and "I'll be darned" that mine has led me to. :)

Last edited:
Turns out the anvil leaked down over night. Looked even more like low fluid, so I added some brake fluid. Works like a charm now! Without even "calibrating" it seriously, both test blocks I tried were within 1/2 a point. Also good news, my usual heat treat for 1080 (1500 x 10 minutes, quench in 10 second oil, temper x2 at 450) results in a RC of 61. Will have fun playing with this machine, for sure!

Back